Thirty-Nine

"Steve!" Bucky called out, jogging over to the muscular blond.

Keys in hand, Steve paused. Not for the first time, Steve was positive that he'd do anything that Bucky wanted. Even if it was just standing there in the nearly empty parking lot while Brock waited by his ostentatious pickup truck. Steve knew that he'd wait there forever, if it meant that Bucky even so much as glanced his way.

"I wanted to, um," Bucky paused -- not standing close enough, in Steve's opinion -- as he played with the bottom of his French braid over his shoulder.  Twirling the strands around his elegant fingers, "I wanted to apologize."

Out of everything Steve never expected to say, that was at the very top. Steve should've been the one apologizing, not Bucky. Considering how Steve had acted the last time that they were together...

Steve's brows were deeply furrowed, and Bucky clarified, "For relying on you so much. I shouldn't have. I'm sorry."

"No, it's fine," Steve reassured Bucky.

Bucky gave Steve a pointed look. Glancing over his shoulder at Brock, Bucky quickly turned his attention back to Steve, "I just want to make sure that you're okay, ya know?"

"Yeah, Buck, I know," Steve confirmed. "You don't have to apologize. It... it was me. I'm sorry."

"No need to apologize," Bucky attempted to convince Steve. Bucky's gaze turned downward as he wrung his hands. Looking up through his lashes, Bucky asked, "Are we okay?"

"Yes," Steve seriously, honestly answered, "We're okay."  More than okay, Steve wanted to add, but didn't.  He might have ruined his relationship with Bucky, but Steve made it a point not to ruin other's relationships.

"Good," Bucky let out a sigh of relief and graced Steve with one of his sunshine-through-the-clouds smiles, and Steve melted. Bucky admitted, "I've been missing my best friend."

Breathless from the confession, Steve melted all over again and asked, "I'm your best friend?"

"Sure, you are," Bucky softly chuckled. "How else would you define someone who assists in finishing a bucket list, remembers how I like my tea, and gives amazing head?"

Steve blushed and bashfully turned his gaze towards the pavement.  Wanting nothing more than to get his mouth on Bucky again, but restraining himself.  Although Steve would define a person with those traits as a boyfriend, he decided to agree with Bucky anyway, "Sounds like the bestest friend a guy could ever ask for."

"I am a lucky bastard," Bucky smirked.

For a moment, they just stood there staring at each other. Every cell in Steve's body was begging him to reach out and pull Bucky close.  To bury his face in Bucky's neck and breathe him in.  To hold Bucky so close that when he finally let go, Bucky's scent still lingered on his skin.  Till it was deeply embedded in his pores and the only thing that he could smell was Bucky.  Instead, Steve shoved his hands in his jeans pockets to control himself.

Then, as if a spell had been broken, Bucky seemed to remember that someone was waiting for him and he blushed while awkwardly telling Steve, "I'll call you."

"Sure," Steve agreed, hoping with every last ounce of himself that Bucky would.

"I mean it," Bucky promised, walking backwards through the empty parking lot.

"Okay," Steve chuckled, fondly watching Bucky.

Bucky pressed his lips together, to control his grin while he gave Steve a small wave. Steve's smile grew at that and he kept his eyes locked on Bucky's retreating form; even after Bucky turned around to watch where he was going.  Keeping Steve's attention with every glance that Bucky threw him over his shoulder.  Pausing at the truck, Bucky turned and gave Steve one last wave.

Reaching high above his head, Steve gave an exaggerated wave, causing Bucky to throw his head back as he laughed. Steve wanted nothing more than to get that beautiful sound out of Bucky for the rest of eternity.  What Steve got instead was a heavy gut as he watched the love of his life ride off with another man.