Thirty-Six

Trying to make things right, Steve hoped that sincerely apologizing to each one of his friends would do the trick. For Sam and Clint, Steve bought lunch the entire week. Of course, it had started as a joke, but Steve felt like that was the right thing to do. For Natasha and Wanda, Steve gave them elaborate illustrations of themselves that both absolutely adored. For Tony and Pepper, Steve attempted to make them dinner, but after the third glass of wine, there was no way that Steve could properly follow the instructions.

For Sharon, Steve knew that he had to go cheesy. He had to apologize in a way that he knew Sharon would appreciate. So, taking a page out of one of Sharon's favorite movies, Father of the Bride Part II, and got down on one knee while he knocked on her door.

"Steve?" Sharon questioned, opening the door. Steve kept his gaze down and held up Sharon's key to his apartment. With a pleased tone to her voice, Sharon demanded, "Stand up."

Doing as Sharon wanted, Steve stood up. He held the key out to her and apologized, "I'm sorry for being a dick."

"We all have our moments," Sharon replied, holding the door open so Steve could enter her apartment.

Just like that, things were okay. Steve jovially stepped forward to enter Sharon's apartment, but he paused in front of her. Hesitantly, Steve held his arms open for a hug. Briefly, Steve was sure that Sharon would refuse. Of course, he should've known better than that.

Sharon held Steve tightly and Steve didn't hold back as he wrapped his arms around her as well. Then, he lifted her athletic frame off the floor, causing her to merrily squeal, "Steven!"

Closing the door behind them, Steve set Sharon back on the ground. Sharon pulled back, just enough to look up at him, and studied him. Sharon had always been good at reading Steve, and she was more than thrilled to find no trace of the sad man from their previous encounter.

"Should I break out the chocolate?" Sharon teased.

"God, yes," Steve feigned a sigh of relief as his arms dropped from around Sharon's waist.

Playfully, Sharon swatted at Steve's muscular arm and headed over to the fridge where the alcohol infused chocolate was kept. Steve took a seat at the kitchen island and Sharon grabbed two spoons from the silverware drawer.

Placing the jar of chocolate down on the island countertop, Sharon mused, "You look good. New therapist?"

"Thanks," Steve scooped some of the chocolate out and quickly popped it into his mouth before admitting, "No, I went to visit mom."

"Good," Sharon approved while also dipping into the chocolate. She teased, "I hope she talked some sense into you."

"She did," Steve confessed. The solemn tone caused Sharon to reevaluate the situation. It clearly wasn't a time to tease. So, Sharon sat there and simply listened as Steve continued, "We talked about my dad. Even with her completely shattered heart from losing him, she said that she'd do it all over again."

With Sharon still silently listening, Steve disclosed the most personal thing that he had ever said to Sharon, "I'm in love with Bucky."

For a moment, Sharon just sat there staring at Steve. Eyes wide and mouth dropped slightly into a silent O. Out of all their years of friendship, Sharon had never so much as seen a hint that Steve had romantic feelings towards anyone. Sure, he loved and he spoke of loving, but not like that.

"Oh, god," Steve started panicking, "Was this a mistake? Should I not have mentioned anything?"

"No," Sharon finally replied. Of course, realizing that she just told Steve that he shouldn't have admitted to his very real and probably intense feelings for Bucky, she immediately tried to back track, "That's not what I meant. I meant that you don't have to feel guilty about telling me. I want you to be open with me. We're best friends. That's what we're supposed to do."

Steve sagged in solace and he sighed, "That's good." Bringing his hand up to his chest as though he could settle his rapid heart rate like that, "You had me worried there for a minute."

"Oh, geez," Sharon giggled. Then, she asked, "You're in love, huh?"

"Afraid so," Steve weakly teased.

"That probably means that Kismet is going to be a bit tense," Sharon admitted, referring to Bucky's new fling while scooping another spoonful of chocolate into her mouth.

"So, I've heard," Steve grimly agreed.

Sharon noticed how serious Steve looked in the moment, and Sharon wasn't willing to see him heartbroken. Softly, Sharon leaned closer across the kitchen island and vowed, "Don't worry, you'll get him back. You've got a whole lot people rooting for you."