14

/Third person/
Claire sat with Lindsey in the arcade as the boys played and yelled, causing a mini riot. Fortunately, they were the only ones there.

Mikey was smiling and playing, but deep down, something was eating away at him.

He killed someone.

He couldn't shake the thought, a bad feeling bubbling inside of him.

Claire noticed something was off about him, but right now, everyone was having fun, so she decided that she would ask him about it when they got home.

Once everyone had said their goodbye's, they all headed home.

Mikey was still getting ready for bed, and Claire was already laying down, playing on her phone. Once Mikey layed down, Claire decided it was time to ask him what's bothering him.

"What's wrong, Mikey?" She asked, a hint of worry lacing her tone.

Mikey looked her way. He looked exhausted and worn down, probably from all the stress and lack of sleep.

"I can't shake the thought that I killed someone. I keep telling myself that it was for good, that he was a bad person. He shot you, so I shot him. But I killed him. I just can't believe it." Mikey explained.

Guilt weighed Claire's stomach, and mind. After all, she was the one who dragged him into all of this.

"I'm sorry, Mikey. But you're right, it was for good, you did the right thing." She said.

"I just don't know." Mikey said. After a moment of silence, Mikey spoke once more. "I hate the night time." He whispered to no one in particular.

"Why?" Claire asked.

"Because I lay here, waiting to fall asleep, almost bored out of my mind, but all these thoughts rush through my head. Things I shouldn't think about, and things I shouldn't worry about, but I still do. I can't help it. The quietness is deafening and I have nothing else to distract me from the worries, so I basically just lay here suffering, until I fall asleep." He says, staring at the ceiling. Claire thinks over what he just said. She pities him, but doesn't express it, knowing he doesn't want pity.

"Think of good things. Let your mind wander to something you love. Think about how you love playing bass." She mumbles, half asleep. He nods, even though he knows she can't see him.

Mikey thinks how much fun he has playing bass. He pictures how satisfying it is to run his fingers so smoothly across the strings, only to hear an even more satisfying tune. He thinks of how good it feels to know he's helping his big brother fulfill his dream. He continues to let his mind wander to the good things in life, until sleep finally takes him over.

Mikey awakens to find that Claire is no longer beside him, in the same moment hearing the sound of bacon sizzling. The delicious smell fills his lungs, as he slowly gets out of bed to be greeted by his girlfriend and breakfast.

"Mornin' Mikey." Claire says, smiling brightly.

"Good morning." Mikey grumbles. He doesn't know how someone can function, much less smile, this early in the morning. Mikey fixes Claire and himself a cup of coffee, and sits them down on the table just as Claire sets their plates down.

They sit down to plates full of bacon, pancakes, and an unnecessary amount of maple syrup.

They both dig in, a comfortable silence settling in the air.

"So what are we going to do today?" Claire asks.

Mikey swallows a mouthful of food before answering, "I don't know, but I'm pretty sure we need to go to the grocery store."

"Can you taste the lack of flour in the pancakes that bad?" Claire asks, laughing.

"Well, I wasn't going to say anything, but..." Mikey said jokingly.

They continued eating in a comfortable silence, cleaning their dishes once they were done. They headed out to a small local grocery store, seeing it was the only one for a long time. They did live in the middle of nowhere. They were blasting music with the windows down, speeding through all of the pastures. It was their favorite thing to do.

Once they had gotten to the store, Claire skipped to the store entrance, while Mikey ran as fast as he could to it. It was unspokenly decided that they were going to act like children.

"Do we need a shopping cart?" Claire asked, out of breath. Mikey nodded and grabbed one. Claire smiled widely as she jumped on the front of the cart. Mikey started running down the aisle, hopping onto the cart as it was going fast enough. Meanwhile, Claire was grabbing anything on the shelves that she could get her hands on. Once the cart came to a stop, they had a bunch of random and unneeded items. They both burst out laughing when they caught their breath.

They were getting stares, but they didn't care. "Alright, let's put this stuff back where it goes before we get in trouble." Mikey whispered. Once they had put everything back, they carried on shopping. Claire was still riding on the front of the cart, randomly throwing things into it. Mikey and Claire laughed all throughout the store until they were ready to check out.

They loaded everything from the cart, to the trunk, then from the trunk, to the house.

They both plopped down onto the couch. Mikey held Claire's hand. "Now what do you want to do?" He asked. Claire shrugged.

"Let's just listen to music." Claire answered after a moment.

"Okay." Mikey replied, walking over to his stack of CD's. "Which one?" Mikey asks.

"I don't know. Play, like, The Used or something." Claire smiles. Mikey grins and finds the CD's.

"Okay, In Love And Death, or Lies For The Liars?" Mikey asks.

"Lies For The Liars." She says. Mikey slips the CD in and The Ripper starts playing. They lay on the couch, listening to the track, until they both fall asleep.

------------------------

I'm sorry. It's been a while. I hope you enjoyed, though!