Go Time.

Status: Alive

The race was finally finished, and from all that I'd pre-read and heard, I was still surprised that Hyunjin placed first for the 500 meter run for his team. I stood up and clapped loudly along with everyone else.

The lady—who seemed about in her mid 40s—that was sitting beside me, was constantly looking over at me during the races. I could feel her stares, but I ignored them more and more towards the end.

And now she finally spoke to me.

"Are you here alone?" She asked, her two (probably) kids leaning over to see who she was talking to. Me.

"Um, yes." I said in a polite manner as the applause wore down.

"Who are you here for? Hwang Hyunjin?" She continued.

I nodded my head.

"Are you related to him?" She asked as we then sat back down.

Why is she asking so many questions?

"No, he's actually just a friend of mine." I told her with a slight nod.

"Hmm, boyfriend or?"

"No, close friend." I told her.

"Oh." She said. "Okay.

Time went by as the last event was about to start.

"Who are you here for?" I asked the woman.

"My son." She answered, as one of her other sons leaned forward in his seat to contribute to the conversation.

"Takata Mashiho!" the boy exclaimed, holding a fist in front of him.

I chuckled at his cuteness. "Nice."

Mashiho wasn't very good. He tripped during the hurdles and I had to restrain myself from laughing.

"He's really good." I lied.

"Ah, he's okay. He's still getting there." Mashiho's mother told me with a warm smile that faded away faster than it came back into her plain, straight face.

"Ah." I said, nodding.

"You're lucky to be friends with Hyunjin. He's the best of the best." The woman continued as we watched the next racers line up at the start line.

"I've heard." I said quietly, feeling a bit proud that I was technically friends with a semi-celebrity. In fact, he was one of my soulmates.

• • •

The event ended and I was so eager to leave my seat, Hyunjin was pacing around the field with a white towel on his shoulder. The rest of his team were all crowded together and having fun. . .

. . .he seemed left out.

"Aren't you going to meet him?" The woman asked me as we stood up.

"We're allowed?"

"Of course." She smiled. "If you have a pass."

"What? I don't have one." I pouted in distress.

"Ah sorry." She walked past me with her sons and they made their way down the stairs. "Make sure to get one next time, they're very helpful."

Instead of towards the field, I waited outside the gate. Maybe Hyunjin would show up.

And he did.

My heart skipped a beat and I didn't even think first before tapping his arm before he walked away as he didn't even notice my presence. "H-Hyunjin?"