FOUR

"This isn't fair Mom, it's spring break! You can't just leave me locked in this room like friggin Rapunzel"

"Start brushing that hair of your sweetheart because this is happening."

I groaned and flopped back on the bed. It wasn't my bed, that would surely be moved up here within the next few days though too. Dad made it a point of not saying things he didn't mean. Wasted breath was wasted time, and he did not have time to waste.

"It's not broken." Doc said from the foot of my bed ignoring our argument and passed Mom the image of the x-ray. "Alessio will want that."

"Of course it's not broken." I rolled my eyes. "I fell, like a step. It wasn't even really a fall, I tripped. He's so dramatic." I reached forward to try to snatch the x-ray back but mom got to it first.

"It's a precaution Charlie."

"Doesn't he worry about, like, radiation and stuff? Wasn't that a totally unnecessary precaution there? Hm?"

She didn't reply.

"Just keep it elevated, ice it at least once a day, within a day or two you should be fine, and, uh, no more heels." Doc said and wrapped the ankle.

"Did my Dad tell you to say that?"
"He didn't have to. Just take it easy on it."

"Don't worry. She doesn't have anywhere to go." Mom said and gave me a look as Doc left.

"Mom!" I whined again. "You can't just keep me in here, you can't just keep my phone! What am I supposed to do for the next two weeks?"

"As the person who pays for your phone, I'm pretty sure I can actually. Read a book Charlie. Do some studying, think about how you could possibly learn to make better decisions in life. We don't like this anymore than you do. We were all supposed to take a trip Charlie, you think we wanted to cancel that? You don't think we were looking forward to this vacation too? You think this is fair that your brother has to be punished because of your decisions?"

"So go, leave me locked up." I huffed and rolled over to give her my back.

She snorted. "Yeah, and leave you here alone, because you are so trust worthy."

"What's an eight year old going to do at the Bermuda Triangle anyway?" I muttered to the wall. Mom started towards the door and I sat up. "How long do I have to stay up here?"

She gave a half shrug.

"How long am I grounded for?"

"I don't know Charlie."

"How long until I can have my phone, or my computer back?"

"I'm not sure."

"Ugh. This is so unreasonable." I knew without a doubt my entire spring break would be spent in this house now. It's not that I had a lot planned. Like I said, over protective parents and all there wasn't going to be any crazy parties or anything. But mom had agreed to let me take Lia and Erin to the beach for a whole day as long as Aria or Sergio took us and stayed the whole time and she had promised after we got back from our family vacation that I could hangout with Erin and Lia any day that I was actually willing to go for a run with Dad. Bribery at it's finest sure, but still!

"We just want what it best for you Charlie."

"Pfft."

She raised a brow.

"All Dad wants is control."

"You know that's not true." She sighed. "You screwed up Charlie, don't try to turn this around, you can't pit your father and I against each other, I won't stand here and defend him to you. Not after your actions last night."