▪︎Chapter Sixteen▪︎

Začít od začátku

"She wants to play with ya'll so be nice."

"I got this. Grandpa be teaching me how to treat girls." He grinned confidently and smoothed his eyebrows. I shook my head and dragged a hand down my face. Sometimes I wasn't sure if my daddy was helping to raise gentlemen or womanizers. This little boy was already suave at five years old.

"Come on Amalie. We playing tag." He held his hand out for her. She looked up at me, silently asking if it was okay. When I nodded a small smile graced her lips as she took his hand.

"My name is Ajahni by the way. Now let's go!" The pair took off running once they say Ahijah and Riley weaving through the legs of adults. I only prayed that they didn't mow anyone over.

I was about to turn and head back inside when I felt a pair of muscular arms encircle my waist and pair of soft lips pressed against the nape of my neck. I sank back into TJ's embrace as his intoxicating cologne permeated my nostrils. I closed my eyes as he rocked us slightly. In that moment, despite the crowd, it felt like we were alone. Once his hold around my waist loosened, I turned to face him. He was smiling as usual, causing me to do the same. We stared at each other briefly before our lips collided. This time the kiss was deep since the kids weren't anywhere in sight. I smiled against his lips as he tickled the roof of my mouth with his tongue.

"Let's go get something to eat." I suggested once we broke our embrace. I took his hand and led him through the crowd to the area was there was food in galore. Essentially there was a dish for everyone. No one could leave hungry, unless of course it was by choice. TJ decided on barbecued ribs, baked beans, cornbread and macaroni. I opted to have a burger and wings since it had been a minute since I indulged in either of the two. TJ offered to carry our food as I got us drinks and eating utensils. We found a picnic table that happened to be tucked away from the crowd. We sat side by side and said grace before digging in.

As usual, throughout the entire meal TJ kept stealing glances at me and saying things to make me smile.

"Okay, so what's one issue you would fix either globally or in your community if you won a large sum of money?" He questioned as we were wrapping up our meal.

"Hmmm, it'd definitely do everything in my power to boost the global literacy rate. I believe reading especially, is fundamental. I feel like being able to read and write would open so many doors for the those that are less fortunate. More kids would be able to succeed in schools and I feel like that in itself is an accomplishment." He smiled and nodded his agreement.

"I agree with you one hundred percent. As a kid my momma use to make my brother and I read all the time. I use to hate it until I got older and realized how much it has helped me."

"I always loved reading as a kid. It was kind of my escape from the bullshit that was going on with my momma." I half-smiled and shrugged.

"What issue would you address though?" I propelled the conversation along.

"Prolly world hunger. It kinda ties in with what you said. Alotta kids can't even focus while in school cuz they're hungry or concerned about where the next meal would come from. I'd also start a youth program for at risk kids locally. I feel like alot of them just need some love and guidance then maybe they'd be more inclined to steer away from trouble," he shrugged,"I guess being a father I'm a huge advocate for the wellbeing of children." I smiled at him as I was reminded of another reason why he appealed to me so strongly; he had his head screwed on correctly.

"You got something on your lip by the way."

I laughed,"T if you want a kiss you could just say so. That recycled excuse of yours is wack."