Chapter 31: We Never Touched (Flash Back)

Start from the beginning

We went picnicking in the truck with the Adams and of course, daddy allowed Jamel to join the picnic but he was very true to his words to not let us go far away from his sight and so he did that.

Days passed, months passed and years passed, D was getting used to his life with no father. He was happy again and my father did take special care of him, he acted as his guardian and I was glad for it. Things were normal, I and the brat were slowly growing up together without even realizing we entered our teenage period.

We both graduated from our school but of course, he was a senior so he passed out first before I did. Maria started working in the fields after she finished her school while Jamel worked as the carpenter, taking after his father but unlike a townie my brat decided to join college to further study and I followed him there being the best friend, Sally was my only friend who followed me there and the three of us ended up in 'The Groove Range College' together, the only college in our town. Although he was in the second year, unlike I and Sally. But I was happy because we were mostly together. Whenever we get the chance we would embrace it and hang out with each other.

As I was about to enter my class, I soon meet a dazed Sally.

"Are you alright?" I ask, looking at her with confusion but she doesn't look at me and remain dazed.

"Sally snap out of your reverie!" I say, snapping fingers in front of her face and she jerks up from her seat and finally looks at me.

"Sarah! Do you know?" She asks me with wide eyes.

"No, I don't?" I deadpan.

"Ronald just confessed his love to Nicole. I was at the ground while Ronald as always was escorting Nicole to her class but this time he stopped her in midway and told her that he loved her!" She speaks.

"Really?" I feel myself falling in a daze too.

"I know you can't believe that too! We are only high schooler's to do such thing! EWWW..." She makes a disgusted face. "But you know what happened next?" She continues without my answer "He held her hands in his and was nearly to kiss it then...."

"Then what!?" I gasp.

"Nicole slapped him and ran away crying!" She heaves a frustrated sigh. "I was hoping to see something more, you know."

"Typical of Nicole." I shake my head in disbelief.

"Well, who wouldn't do that? If I was in her place maybe I would've even kicked him and punched him and...." She puts a finger under her chin while thinking something "Ah! I would have done all the bad things to him for touching me or even thinking of kissing me!" She snaps. "No wonder where he learned to do such things from."

"He visits the city very often with his parents. The city is a bad influence after all." I say, shaking my head.

"Yes, and I heard people do this kind of stuff all the time there. Even in public!" She half shouts with her hands holding her head in disbelief.

"I would never do such thing!" I gasp.

"Me neither!" She heaves a sigh.

"And what happened with Ronald after that?" I ask, curiously.

"He stood there for a while holding the cheek that was slapped. He was too shocked to do anything and everyone was looking at him, dazed." I curve my mouth in an 'O' shape. How embarrassing would it have been for him? Sally waves her hand dismissively "Anyway what's the plan for your sixteenth birthday?" She nudges me in the ribs, changing the subject.

"What plan? There is no plan like always." I roll my eyes as she pouts.

"No plans with your brat as well?" She eyes me warily and again I roll my eyes and nod. She eyes me more briefly now.