What I've Done

What I've Done

"Daryl...DARYL" She runs over to me from the creek bed. Pouncing into my arms, she hugs me close and doesn't let go for what feels like hours. Pulling away I feel tears running down my face and can see some running down hers.

"Beth... Where have you been?"

"Where's Taylor?" It comes back to her. Panic. Searching around is I shake her back to me.

"She's home with Carol and Tyreese. I found her this morning. Beth, who is she?" She steps back and looks down. "Beth....?"

"She's my daughter." I turn around and start back to the house. I need no explanation. Two years with that clan of men, why wouldn't I expect her to have a child with one of them. They probably done horrible things to her. Beth doesn't say anything as we walk back to the house. We let the silence of snow fall settle in the woods.

As we walk, I feel my blood boil. Which on was it who knocked her up? Jep? Ben? Axe? One of the others at their camp? I hate them. I hate them for hurting her. Doing that to a young girl. Yet, I am no better. I too have slept with Beth, many times. I can see out of the corner of my eye that Beth seems like that young girl I escaped the prison with those some years ago. I stop at the edge I the woods on our property. She stops also m, but doesn't meet my eyes.

"Yer home now. I hope you stay." That's all I say as I head out to the barn to chop firewood. I need to let go of some anger and tension, and pain too I guess you could say.

It's around 5:00 when I get done chopping wood. As I wipe my face of cold sweat, I turn to walk out of the barn and find Beth, leaning against the sliding door. I freeze instantly, almost forgetting that she's back. She slowly walks over after sliding the door shut and turns on the oil lamp to light the darkening barn.

"Aren't you..." She's on my lips instantly an I stop speaking. My eyes daze close and my arms wrap around her close. I feel her hands snake up my body and under my arms, making it a hug. When she finally pulls away, it takes a while for us to catch our breaths. Finally looking into my eyes, I can see she's a little more than upset. "What is it?"

"Taylor's your daughter." She blankly lets out and I can't move an inch. Beth just stands there looking at me. Tired of my silence, she turns to leave when I grab her arm. "What! I know the last thing you want is another child calling you dad! Last thing you probably want is mean, by the way you've been treating me! Well message received!"

She tries to pull away, but I pull her into my body.

"Let go of me!" she starts to cry. "Haven't we both been through enough?"

Without knowing what to say, I press my lips to hers again and she smacks my fast. Realizing what she did she goes back in and kisses me. Feelings of pain deplete out of me and the love for her rekindles again.

"I love you! I've loved you for along time. An missing you was the hardest thing I've ever been through in my life. And I would rather die, than lose you and my lil family." She looks up at me, eyes red and puffy.

"Do you mean that? Because I you don't, I don't think me staying here will work."

"Beth, I promise, that I will only ever love you and our children." I sink to the ground and hold her by her waist. She sinks to the ground too and holds me around my neck. I feel every inch of our bodies humming with elation and need.

"Can we go in... it's cold out here."

"Of course. Of course, Blondie."