Where Should We Go

Where Should We Go

Waking up I find Beth still against my chest, lightly breathing in and out and looking very peaceful. I almost feel as if it's a dream. Her cascading beauty is rare for this world. I try not to stir her as I move a piece of her hair out of her face. To late though.

"Mmm. Mornin'." Her faint voice whispers against my chest. She snuggles in closer and I can't help, but need to hide my morning erection.

"Morning. Beth, uh...."

To late. She's already put a leg beside and her eyes widen and she looks at me. I feel awkward.

"Wha's that?" She whispers in my ear. She knows what it is but he probably would feel more comfortable with some clarification.

"Sorry... it's the morning."

She lets a giggle escape her lips and she lays back down. I'm very surprised it doesn't bother her.

"Beth, we need to go! Herds are coming this way and we're pretty much out Of ammo!" Sarah and Ian barge into the living room. Out of breath and red in the face, they look like they've been running for a while.

"You weren't firing that thing were you?" She's now sitting up and I slide out from underneath her.

"They were all around us, why were we supposed to do?"

"Run and use blunt objects. Shooting and other loud noises attract them!" I have to admit when she takes charge it's kid of attractive... wait what am I saying?

We get up from the couch and my leg is killing me. I sit back down and she looks at me with concerning eyes.

"Daryl come on! We have ta go!"

I wince getting up and grab a few bags and a gun along with a machete. We run out the back door and can barely get through the in coming herds. Running as fast as I can, I'm falling behind them all. I should just sacrifice myself for them. So they can live. So Beth can. When I stop to think about it, Beth runs back an grabs my arm, her nails digging into my skin pretty bad and we keep running.

She's gotten faster since the last time I've seen her. And stronger too. We run and clear the herds, but we don't stop. My leg is on fire and now blood trickles down my arm.

"Up ahead there's a house!" Sarah yells and we follow her up. They don't wait for any walkers to pound on the widow before they open the door. They charge in and two walkers sprint at them. Beth throws me against the outside of the house and the walkers are trying to bite Ian and Sarah. Beth, being brave, rushes in and jams her Bowie knife into their skulls. They drop to the floor and Ian and Sarah just back away.

"We always! Always! Check before we go in! It's like I've taught you nothing!" She yells at them and they shrink back into the wall behind them. Stepping in I feel faint, but I don't let Beth know that.

"Go easy, Beth. They're jus' scared." I place a hand on her shoulder and she shoots me a nasty look. Them she softens when she sees my arm.

"We gotta wrap yer arm. You too check te place out. Try to keep quiet!" She hisses at them and leads me to the kitchen. Reaching in her backpack, she grabs out alcohol, gauze and medical tape. "This'll sting a bit."

"Don't matter..." She pours some alcohol on my arm and I suck in a breath. Stings like a bitch. She wraps my arm and then sits back.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean ta hurt you." She rubs her hand in mine and I can tell she kinda forgets who I am for a moment. Hell I even forget when looking in her eyes.

"It's fine. Can't say I never hurt you 'fore." Laughing, she tucks a loose strand if hair behind her ear.

"Place is clear we'll take the two outside."

"Make sure you burn them Ian."

"Yes m'am." He and Sarah drag the corpses out and I can't help but find Beth kind of cold. Which isn't like her at all.

"Ya need to lighten up on em. They're only teen agers."

"Yeah, well not in this world. They don't get to slack or make stupid moves. It'll get us all killed and you know it." Ouch. She stands up and starts looking through cupboards for food items and things that can come in handy. Getting up, I need her to understand something.

"They can't jus' go around thinkin' that this is a video and they have extra lives! It's not like that at all! They need to wake up and..." I turn her around and pull her into my chest. She stops talking as I hold her close and gently rock from side to side, even though it hurts too.

"They're like you were. They're gonna learn Beth. Ya jus gotta have faith. You grew up way too fast when I was gone. And I jus' want the ol' you back." Again my head against hers, she succumbs to my pain.

"Have I really changed?"

"Yeah. Yer a lil cold... I feel tha's my fault. I'm sorry."

"We burnt the bodies. And look we found some berries outside. Are they edible?" Looking at the violet berries in their hands I chuckle.

"Y'all ain't never seen blue berries 'fore?" Beth laughs at my question.

"Nah. Our ma never really made us eat fruit."

I can tell. Ian is kinda on the chubbier side and Sarah is skinny, but not in the fit kinda way like Beth.

"Well, yeah, y'all can eat those. Good find." I praise their efforts and Beth jus' smiles as I walk out and up the stairs to check out the bedrooms. There are two of then and a bathroom. Hobbling to the bedroom on the right, I slip in the door and look around.

Good size bed, vanity mirror, two dressers full of clothes, and a closet. It has a small bathroom with a shower, toilet, and sink. Walking back into the bedroom, I didn't even hear Beth sneak in and sit on the bed.

"Mind if we share?" Her blue eyes glisten in the sunlight trough the blinds and my mind races.

"Nah. I can take the floor..."

"No we can share a bed. Daryl we already laid together last night... it's not like we're not used to be close." Her argument is valid but that was a couch. This is a bed, which makes me want to... never mind those thoughts.

"Beth, we shouldn't...."

"Daryl. Nothin's gonna come from it, if we jus sleep. Tha's all we're gonna do... right?" I nod an she slips off her boots. Straining to walk I the bed, I slide down on the opposite side of the bed and take a my shoes off. I pull my shirt off and lay back against a pillow. It's a full sized bed, but not very roomy for the both of us. She's in just her cami and jeans and scoots to the edge if the bed.

What kind of thing is she trying to pull? I roll over and looks at the huge gap between us. This is ridiculous.

"Com'ere." I grab onto her waist with my hands and pulls her into my body. "Ain't gonna have you fallin' off the bed."

We don't say anything after that. We just fall asleep. My arms around her and her back against my chest.