Disaster of Innocence

As I look toward the blazing sound, I feel Beth grip my hand. From the front hallway, Carol, Tyreese, Bentley, and Sarg walk in with scared pale faces.

"What is it?" Looking behind them, my answer is soon answered.

A man, the size of a grizzly bear, hair and beard the color of night comes in along with two other henchmen type brutes, wielding walkers on a dog chained bar type thing, extending them just out of reach of our friends.

"Well, looky here, Jep. Knew we'd find er sooner or later." I look to my left and find Beth, cowering behind my shoulder, it's obvious they're talking about her as their eyes gaze to her and the two men wickedly grin at her.

"Looks like she found us a new group of friends, Ben." Jep, a slightly smaller man than Ben, holds his walker close to Bentley and I become defensive, after picking up Judith, who has begun to cry on the floor, causing the walkers to go crazy.

"Who are you and what do you want?" I push Beth farther behind me and they smize at me.

"Ask yer friend right there. She know all we want." Jep licks his lips and I glower at him.

"Beth who are they?"

She stands silently and Ben steps closer to us, I hide Beth a bit more, and can feel her heart beat against my back rapidly beating.

"Yeah, Beth. Tell 'im who we are." Ben steps closer and bruises her hair out of her face.

"Keep yer hands off of her!" I growl low in my throat to the bearded man.

"Maybe you wanna watch who yer talkin' to. Cause she's been claimed." With that my blood boils and I get in his face, keep Judith closer out of his reach.

"You better back the fuck up, cause ain't nobody claimed her, but me prick!" Grabbing my hair and pulling my head back in a jerking motion, Ben gets closer to my face. I can see myself in his grey eyes.

"You better watch who you talking too. Or that biter right there will take out everyone in this room you care about." He lets go and pushes me back into Beth.

"What do you want, man?" Tyreese steps forward a bit and Ben turns to him.

"Just the women. We knew Beth would lead us to more. Guess one will have to do." Ben answers.

"I was jus think' Ben, we could use this lil boy and that baby too." A badger type man with a shaved head and ginger hair snarls.

"Good eye, Ax." Ben smiles and then takes his gun out. Holding it against my temple, Beth, Carol, and Bentley all let out a gasp. Tyreese's eyes go dull and hopeless. "Now, give me the baby and back way from Blondie and you and black friend and the dog won't get hurt."

"Not a fucking chance." I growl at him and he presses the gun harder against my temple.

"I suggest you shut the fuck up and do as I say. Cause bout the look of it, you ain't too strong to be negotiatin'."

He prepares to pull the trigger when Beth screams.

"Stop!" I open my eyes and slightly turn to her. Ben looks at her and then me and holds back the shot. "I'll go with you... but only me. You let the others go."

"Beth..." I plead.

"No, Daryl. He wants me... I don't want anyone hurt... if this is what it takes for everyone's safety, then I must go." Ben takes the gun away from my head and stares at us.

"Wow, sacrifice.... admiration I'll give ya that." he takes out hand cuffs and hand shackles her. It's connected to a length if chain that he holds onto. "Let's go Blondie. Oh and if you follow us, we'll kill her on the spot."

As they leave, Judith cries and cries Mama over and over until her voice cracks. I sit on the kitchen floor, kicking myself for everything that's happened. All that I have done and didn't do. I didn't save Beth. I didn't save Merle, or Rick. I failed them all. All of them to no end.

As I lay up in my bed crying, Carol comes in with Judith on her hip and Bentley and Sarg in toe.

"They wanted to say good night. I didn't know if you were awake or not." Carol sets Judith on the end of the bed, where she crawls up and sleeps by me. Bentley also climbs on the bed an soon Sarg does too. "I'm sorry, Daryl. I'm truly sorry."

She leaves before I can say anything. Bentley comes up and snuggles into my other shoulder that Judith isn't occupying.

"I miss mommy, Dad."

"I do too, son.... I do too." We fall asleep like this, all bunged together in a family type manor. Sarg sleeps at the foot of the bed and though I physically am not alone, I feel abandoned in this bed.