Trap Setter

Trap Setter

Blinking hurts, but not as much as my head. Looking around, I see I'm in a living room that connects to a kitchen. It's decorated like an old lady used to live here. Man, kinda reminds me of my Me-Maw's place. The photos on the wall date back to probably the 40's. Did some granny take me out? God I'd be impressed. I start to hear voices in the hallway. Two, one man, one woman.

"You should've left him there! It's not our traps to mess with, Ian!" The woman's voice sounds older to me.

"Sorry, I don't think she would've wanted him to have all the blood rush to his head! It's bad enough she set the trap close to the trunk and he whacked his head. That trap's for walkers, not people who are passin by." Ian seems a little younger, but still firery. My back aches a bit. The talking continues.

"Shit. She's back already! What should we tell her?"

"Tell her we found him, helped him, and that's it. She'll understand, she's been through a lot herself." The woman minds the man as the front door opens.

"Got fresh meat. Squirrel, rabbit, and groundhog... Why y'all look worried? I wasn't gone that long." Wait that voice. It sounds familiar to me. Who is that?

"Um well ya caught something in yer trap." Ian says.

"Yeah?" the familiar voice rings in my ears. My eyes hurt to open, but I squint. It doesn't help.

"Yeah, it was a guy.... he's in the living room."

"He was knocked out cause yer rope was too close to the tree. We couldn't just leave him out there so Sarah and I brought him in."

"Let me see him." I hear the voices get closer. I dare to open my eyes and shock runs through me and the face of a ghost. "Oh my God. Daryl!"

"Beth..."

"You know each other?" Ian asks with suspicion.

"Yes. He was the one I was with before I got kidnapped by Father Gabriel and you both saved me." She walks over slowly and kneels beside the couch I'm laying on. She places a gentle hand to my face. "It's really you.... I didn't think I'd see you again."

Sitting up I take her in my arms and I don't let go. I've lost so much. When I lost her, I nearly died. I wanted too. Getting her back feels like my heart returning, but I'd never tell anyone that, especially not her.

"I've missed you kid." I forgot she hates that. She's pulls away a bit and looks at me. I don't care how much my head hurts, I look at her and never blink.

"I'm an adult ya know. I'm 19, but I've missed you too Mr. Dixon." God I hate that. I feel so old, but that's why she does it. To drive me crazy.

Beth basically sits on me when the others leave. I'm not too sure she knows what I am to her, but she doesn't seem to care. She pulls a blanket off the back of the couch and lays against my chest. I have no choice but to wrap my arms around her. It feels great and normal, but at the same time wrong. I'm thirty-five and she's nineteen. That's just weird. These people wouldn't understand and neither would the others if they were here...huh, I wish they were.

We don't speak, but just lay on the couch intertwined and safe. My head still hurts, but the pain kinda drifts away when I look down at the young girl on my shoulder. No, not girl. Not anymore. She's a woman. She catches me looking at her and she smiles. Instinctually, I kiss the top of her blonde head. I can feel her relax against the kiss.

"So you set that trap?" I don't know where she learned that one from. I never knew how. Wish I would've.

"Yeah, saw Father Gabriel set a few before Sarah and Ian found me."

"Who is Father Gabriel." I can feel her still against my words.

"He kidnapped me that night. Made me believe he was a good guy, then....then... huh, it doesn't matter he wasn't a good guy is what you need to know." Her voice seems cracked and she seems broken.

"I'm sorry bout that night. I....I looked and looked for you. And then, huh... I'm sorry."

"It's okay. I would've stopped to if I were you. I'm not the survivor of the group." Her frown lays against my chest.

"You are though. You obviously taken care of these folks. And ya caught me. Not many have done tha'." We laugh at the ridiculousness of it all.

"I guess so." She snuggles into my chest and I place another kiss on her head.

"Gettin' tired my lil trap setter?"

"Mmmmm." I can feel her falling asleep. I pull the blanket up under her chin and let her sleep.

Letting my eyelids become heavy, I let myself fall asleep.