As We Wait

As We Wait

I make Tyreese stand guard in front of the basement door. I've picked up a cough and a temperature. I haven't allowed anyone to see me and not seeing Beth, is pure torture. I occasionally hear her talking to Tyreese, persuading him to let her see me, but as great of a friend he is, he denies her for me.

As I cough alone in this now freezing basement, I feel death's fingers touching my face and body. I fade in and out of the touch, out I light and darkness, out of warmth and coldness. My body aches and chills run up and down my body like a highway of sickness.

At the top of the stairs comes light and footsteps bring me back from the other side.

"How you feeling?" A familiar voice and face lulls in my ears.

"Sophia?"

"Yes, it's me." I blink my eyes and can see her clear as day. Her purple rainbow shirt, her redial brown hair. I see her as if it was when I first met her.

"How are you here?" I slur my words from my choked chest.

"I'm not the only one here with you. Look." She points to all over the basement and I see them. Maggie, Glenn, Bob, Sasha, Merle, Rick, Carl, Michone- everyone I ever lost all in one space. Singing angels ring in my ears and I slowly look back at Sophia.

"Am I dead?"

"Not yet. We've come to take you to the promise land. Into Heaven." I shake my head at her and see more bright lights.

"No.... No... I can't leave. Not yet! I need to be with Beth. With Bentley and Your mom and Tyreese! I can't go yet!" I struggle against my bonds and feel my chest clear from the stuffiness. The shivers go away and my fever drops.

"But it's yer time to go. Come on Daryl. you can protect them from heaven. We've been protecting you. Now it's yer Turn." Her voice seems to become more angelic and lulling. I open my eyes brighter and more light consume me.

Then as I feel I am about to ascend, something pulls me back.

"I need to see him Tyreese! Please! Just for a minute." Her voice calls to me and Sophia fizzes in and out with the others.

"Come on Daryl. Come protect them with us." They all call to me and I almost go, but linger with Beth in my head.

"Just let her down here. I want... I want to see her. Please." I can barely breath, it's like I'm drowning now.

"Daryl......" Their ominous voices call to me, but I stop listening and scrunch my eyes close. Finally I'm at bliss.