What Works?

What Works?

The pounding in my head pleads me to keep my eyes closed, but being the dumb-ass I am, I don't. My back aches from this damn car floor, but who am I to expect it to feel like a Comfort Inn bed, or even a recliner. I roll onto my side and expect Beth to be there. Sitting up and turning over she's gone. Where did she go now?

I sit for hours in the passenger seat of the car. I twiddle my thumbs, and feel stupid for actually sleeping. I haven't actually slept in a few years from this thing. I'm always alert and ready to pounce. I peer out the window and the sun is setting. Great. Lost her again. How the hell does this keep happening to me? I go to grab a water bottle from the back. Nothing. She took the bottles, the weapons, everything. She fucking left me here!

Huh. I would have too. I would've left me, cause I'm nothing but a slow moving gear. Replace the tire, and leave the old one. I'm the old one. Shit.

A crackle comes from the woods and I don't bother to look. It's another walker making a racket.

The door flies open, and Beth is crawling over top of me with her arms full. I hide my pain of her on my bad leg as long as I can. She quickly gets off after placing the things in the back. She plops herself down in the driver's seat and is breathing heavy. She must've been running for a while. She looks at me and then back at the wheel. Leaning over she kisses my cheek.

"Where in the HELL did you go!" I snap. She sits back and looks at me.

"Oh like you never left without saying anything to get supplies. Found you these" She whips a bottle of pain relief at me. "Yer welcome."

She climbs to the back, making it apoint to shove her ass halfway in my face. Oh I should've bit it hard to teach her a lesson.

"Thank you." Defeated. I can't win with her.

"Yer welcome." She says with sweetness in her voice this time.

"What else you find?" I hop in the back with her.

"A whole bunch of food, water, sweets and a few other things."

"Like what?" Her face goes white and I know she's hiding something from me. "Spill."

"No. It's not for you!" I raise an eyebrow. What could she possibly have that isn't for the both of us. I lean overtop of her to try and get the bag from behind her back. "No. Daryl! Stop it."

"Come on Greene. People who love each other share things." I reach closer and have her pinned to the floor. The bag tightly in her hand's grasp.

"No! Daryl! Really!" Her face is red. It must be a toy or something along those lines. I tickle her and the bag releases. I take it and she immediately is at my back trying to get it back. I pull out a box and then toss the bag back at her. I want no part of that. None what so ever. "I told you! You couldn't have let it go?"

"Why didn't you just say they were tampons and pads?! I thought it was something sexy or kinky! Not yer female problem kit! I want no part of that."

I go back up to the front of the SUV and she starts giggling.

"Also got these... Just incase." Before she throws them at me in retort.

"What midol?" She whips a box of condoms at me. It hits the back of my head. I turn and look down at a decent sized box of Trojan condoms. "Oh really? I thought The Young Miss Greene was pure!"

"I'm tired of being pure! I refuse to die a virgin!" She huffs and turns back to the sleeping back she found.

"You're not gonna die til yer 95 and you break a hip gettin' it on in a slippery shower." I try to sound serious but I crack up at the thought of any old lady getting frisky in the shower.