three

A n a s t a s i a

My eyes fluttered open slowly, adjusting to the bright light above me as they focused on my surroundings. I blinked few times before attempting to rub the sleep away, only to be stopped by a force keeping my hands down by my sides. With the sudden fear striking me, I wiggled around until I realised that both of my wrists were cuffed to the sides of the bed that I was laying on.

Groaning in outrage, I aggressively pulled at my wrists before whining in defeat. I slumped in my position as I glared down at the metal cuffs, which were now my newly formed enemies. The bed which I was placed on was odd, as it had metal bars on either side of it, somewhat similar to a baby’s cot. The mattress was hard yet this was counteracted by the soft pillow beneath my head.

The room itself felt alien as it was a bright white colour all the way through. There was nothing else within the room, except for a large door which was covered by some wooden blinds. The ceiling was littered in small lights, each looking like small stars shining down on me. I had never been inside an environment like this before, considering that I had lived underground for the majority of my life.

Before I could try any other methods of escaping my bounds, the door to the room swung open, revealing an older woman who adorned a caring smile on her lips. She was sickly pale, immediately signifying that she was one of them. My own expression remained emotionless, as I had no idea whether this woman was friendly or not.

“How are you feeling, Anastasia?” The lady spoke softly. I squinted at her accusingly for knowing my name, before letting out a small sigh in defeat. She seemed too old and sweet for me to be hostile; although she was still untrustworthy considering that she was one of their kinds.

“I feel fine.” I answered impassively, observing as she passed me a glass of clear liquid, before remembering that I was tied and proceeded to place it down on the small wooden table to my left. I looked at the object to see if anything was out of order, which the woman obviously found amusing as she let out a brief cackle. “What is it?” I asked, slightly concerned over whether she had mixed something into the drink or not.

“It is just water, dear.”

“Oh,” I frowned. “Where am I?” I needed to know.

“You are in the medical wing of the King’s Castle.” She replied, walking to the end of the bed and picking up a brown clipboard. “You fainted during the auction and were brought here immediately.”

“How long have I been out?” The thought of being in the home of the King was unnerving. I was not too fond of him after that previous interaction. Especially considering that he bit me harshly out of the blue. The thought made a shrill shiver run through me and some goose bumps rise upon my arms.

“Only for a few hours. Now, I am going to uncuff you so that you can have a drink. Do not attempt to move off of this bed otherwise you will be punished.” Her tone changed to a much more hostile one, making me want to lash out at her. How dare she threaten me? She had no power over me; I would do as I pleased.

She reached towards my left wrist, undoing the cuff and letting my arm free. Her legs then carried her to the other side of the bed as she mirrored her previous actions. As soon as both of my wrists were freed, I rubbed over them and frowned at the faint red marks left on my skin. The woman cleared her throat beside me, causing my head to snap in her direction. I took the offered glass of water from her gratefully, instantly bringing it to my lips to quench my thirst.

After downing the entire glass, I passed the empty cup back to the lady appreciatively. I hadn’t realised how thirsty I was until then. I watched her movements as she stepped away from me, carrying the glass with her as she exited the room. I took this moment to finally haul myself off of the uncomfortable mattress, swiftly swinging my legs off of the bed and planting them firmly onto the concrete flooring below.