prologue

H a r r y

2014

The streets used to be filled with such vibrancy and life yet as of late they have turned into much more dangerous and dark areas. London was one of the busiest cities in the world, with it being the capital of England. Yet that has all changed since they overthrew the government.

I remember the first day of the invasion like it was yesterday, even though it was only two months ago. It was a normal day for me. I was working up in London at a highly regarded Law firm where I had finally begun my first job. I loved it, as it was thrilling and allowed me to put into practice everything I had learnt from my studies.

I had graduated from University the year prior to entering my job, and I celebrated my twenty-first birthday just before I received the offer of the position at the firm. I would have been working there for a year now, except I had to celebrate my twenty-second birthday down here in the newly found safe areas.

The underground tunnels are where the majority of us humans have sought isolation from those creatures. When we were first bombarded by their kind, we all began to build these areas where they couldn't reach us. They tend to not venture downwards because they know that we are waiting to kill them in our mobs. So, for the last two months we humans have been hiding underground to stay away from those blood-sucking beings.

I was lucky enough to have been with Lola at the time they struck upon us. Those Vampires attacked the entirety of the United Kingdom and managed to wipe out over half of the population. It was unbelievable and something that no one could have ever predicted.

That night, I was leaving work so my girlfriend and I could have a romantic meal at one of the top restaurants in the city. We were on our way to the extravagant building when we heard screams. We turned to find a wide mass of people running towards us, calling for help with blood trickling down some of their faces.

I was stunned at first and unaware of what to do, but soon fell into action. I knew that we had to get out of there so decided to follow some of the people. Various bodies were running into buildings and we were going to to do the same as them, until I noticed a small group climbing into one of the drains.

They seemed to have a more logical idea so I pulled Lola alongside me and we followed them. This was probably one of the best decisions of my life. We climbed into the drain and found ourselves in the London sewers. It smelt foul but we had to make do.

We eventually befriended the others who had found isolation down here, and we haven't left permanently since. Lola and I found out what had happened, and couldn't believe what we heard. Those Vampires had been around for centuries and had been planning an invasion for years. That night was when they finally took out their attack.

This group of people were one of the first to discover this and knew immediately to seek shelter underground. The blood-sucking creatures cannot venture underground, both partially because of the mass amount of mobs waiting for them, but also because their hunting skills become miniscule when around water.

Now, two months on, we were discussing who was going to venture upwards to retrieve this week's food. It happened to be Lola's turn but I insisted on going with her. I don't want anything to happen to her; I loved her more than anything.

"So, are you all ready?" John asked, patting me friendlily on the shoulder.

"Yeah, I think so." I smiled faintly, entwining my fingers with Lola's.