two

A n a s t a s i a

Currently glancing around the crowded room, I couldn’t subdue the heavy feeling in the pit of my stomach no matter how hard I attempted to. There were multiple women, ranging from the age sixteen and upwards, all sat on these uncomfortable chairs awaiting their fate. Just like me.

I was probably one of the youngest here, being only sixteen years old. I will be seventeen in a few months but I am of age to be sold now. I cannot believe my stupidity of how I was captured. I really want to repeatedly headbutt the grey wall in front of me, but I couldn’t. They had our hands tied by shackles which only allowed us to move a small amount. I couldn’t even push back the loose blonde hair which was falling into my eyes.

I hated Vampires with a passion. I hadn’t encountered that many throughout my life, but the ones I had come across were always so rude and thirsty. They treat humans like animals, which is definitely what we aren’t. I’m just a teenager who wished never had to sleep down in the sewers. It’s dark down there and I could never get any sunlight.

But at least it’s safe down there, I suppose. I was quite lonely when I was living underground. My family had all been captured one by one, or killed. These Vampires only ever seem to take women, probably due to the majority of them being males whom desired a Bloodlust.

I never wanted to become one of those degraded beings. I wanted to grow up and marry a man that I was in love with. Never would I have ever chosen to be forced to be with a Vampire. My skin shivered at the thought. Yet here I am, at the Bloodlust auction, awaiting my darkened fate.

It was such a senseless reason behind my kidnapping, as I would bluntly put it. I was merely minding my own business at my old base underground when food was being served. I was hoping that we could have something different for a change, but all these people were able to do was find bread and other foods which were bland and stale.  

After no thought at all, I decided that I was going to retrieve some real food for myself, as selfish as it may sound. I was fed up with eating rubbish and I wanted a real meal. The leader of our base, Kieron, tried to force me to stay. He even attempted to grab me but I just ran. It was not my finest hour but I did, and now I wish I hadn’t. I should’ve just settled for the shitty bread.

I remember running until I was faced with one of the ladders which led up towards the mainland, overrun by Vampires. My stomach evidently became the leader of my choices as I climbed the steps until I was met with the fresh air which I had desired for so long.

The streets were deserted yet cleared. The Vampires created this picturesque image of the world yet it was the complete opposite. It was a dangerous place fit for no man, and that aggravated me more than anything.

The huge bag on my back surprisingly didn’t infuriate me, as the only thought passing through my mind at that point was filling the item with food. So, I continued to walk throughout the empty streets of London, trying to find a source of real food.

I eventually found an old corner shop, which clearly sold food. My feet padded across the gravelled flooring and I was pleased once I realised my discovery. I found a handful of different foods, including tins and other products which would still be edible and weren’t out of date.