•62•

Jaehwan died in the minutes following after the shooting. The doctors took him away and he spent his last moments under supervision before he couldn't hold on anymore.

Or at least, that's what Seokjin is convinced that happened because no one in this damn palace is willing to update him on his friend's condition.

Seconds after the shooting, General Min shows up next to him and Jimin and orders for the palace staff to bring a stretcher for Jaehwan as has Seokjin escorted aside to get treated. After their separation, Seokjin has heard nothing on his friend's health and it was pissing him off.

At the moment, Seokjin himself was getting treated. He didn't realize what a mess he looked until they brought him into his room and he looked at himself in the mirror. Damn, no wonder everyone thought they saw a ghost, he looked like he was cast as a zombie in Train to Busan.

Doctor Song treats him, cleans up his wounds and checks him over. Personally, Jin was surprised he hadn't ended up with a broken rib or something, but he was sure that he the trauma he suffered over the last few hours would take much longer to heal than a broken bone or two.

Honestly, how was he still alive?

Over the past month, he has avoided death over and over again and he reaches the conclusion that maybe the universe is really kind enough to let him have that makeout session he wants with Namjoon. And who was he to deny the universe of its will when it was something he himself wanted badly?

Doctor Song finishes up with him, making a comment on how lucky he was given the circumstances. Seokjin agrees with her but doesn't say it out loud. The doctor gets up and pulls on her cart of medical equipment, heading to the door.

On the other side of the door, Taehyung, Jimin and Hoseok are standing there anxiously. Doctor Song stares at them before sighing. "You may see him now," she says.

Taehyung is the first to dash into the room. Seokjin is already holding his arms out when his little brother throws himself on him on the bed and presses their bodies together. Taehyung is hugging the breath out of his lungs.

"Careful!" Doctor Song shouts, "He's a patient!"

Both brothers ignore her and just keep each other in a tight embrace. Taehyung sniffles and buries his face in Jin's neck. The elder hears a sob escape him and the sound of it causes Jin's eyes to sting.

"I, I missed you so much!" Taehyung whimpers against him. "I didn't —I. You—"

Seokjin pulls him tighter to him and kisses the top of his head, smoothing the hair down with his palm. "I'm sorry," he whispers, "You must've felt so alone." Taehyung nods violently, unable to articulate words properly between his sobs.

"You idiot," Hoseok says from the side of the bed, lips whimpering and eyes glassy. "You were alive," he says low, "You were alive this whole time." He brings his hand up under his nose to try and compose himself, but it doesn't work.

Seeing Hoseok cry hits Seokjin in a different way than Taehyung's tears do. Taehyung is sensitive, but Hoseok doesn't tend to show his emotions openly like that. The sight of his friend doing his best to hold back brings a knot in Jin's throat. "I'm sorry," he whispers."

Hoseok lets out an airy chuckle, tears streaming down his cheeks. "Don't apologize for being alive, Hyung." Seokjin beams at him and then extends his hand out, Hoseok joins them on the bed, squeezing next to Taehyung and wrapping his hands around both of them to hug them. Jin laughs when Hoseok accidentally ends up stepping on Taehyung in the process.

From the entrance of the room, Jimin hasn't moved from his spot. He stares at his friends on the bed, and wonders if he's even allowed to be a part of it all. Guilt slowly creeps on him as he takes in the bruises on Seokjin's face. All caused by the elder saving him back on that day.