2 1 | C O N S E Q U E N C E S

joe

*Contains mature content*

I have the weekend off, Leila.

And I'd be more than happy to spend it with you, after all, I did save you from a couple of goons who wrongly believed they could have their way with you.

I'm a fucking superhero, and you'll worship me after you hear the story again in gory details in person.

I made a good impression on your friends, so you really have no reason to dislike me or distance yourself from me. Not that you ever would. You're kind. And pure.

A little lamb in this dark world.

I'm a good guy, you're a good girl.

You have a past, I have a past.

We can make it work.

We can...Leila, why are there so many people at your place?

They're all scrunched up in that tiny house like clowns in a car. And- is that Peter?

Oh, fuck.

Sarah.

Shit.

Okay, I can still salvage this. It won't be easy, but I've gotten myself out of much worse binds.

I'll just step right up your porch, smile wide, knock on the door and wait. Once they start attacking me- and they will- I'll just play victim. Sarah forced herself on me, I stopped her.

The end.

Whatever Peter says, I can spin it. I saved you, Leila. So who will you believe? The fucking douche who's been trying to get into your pants for weeks, or me?

Your Joe.

Your guardian angel.

"Remember when Love believed you?" Beck's voice swells up inside my head. She appears silently behind me, bangles chiming as she crosses her arms and raises a brow. "Remember that, Joe?"

We're talking about her now? "Love is fine, Beck." She's better than fine, she's living out her dream.

"You abandoned her."

Like hell I did! I'm not allowed anywhere near her. Or-

You know what, fuck it. I don't have time for this. I've got to get going. Leila, you're waiting for an explanation from me in there, all I have to do is get out of my car.

"You can't run forever!" Beck calls, I ignore her.

And I go to you, Leila. Just as I'd practiced in my head. I climb the stairs, bring my fist forward, and knock.