Chapter 15: Cheat

"Love is a shelter in the raging storm
Love is peace in the middle of a war.
If we try to leave may God send angels to guard the door.
No, love is not a fight but is something worth fighting for."_WB

LAGOS, NIGERIA.
OCTOBER 2018.

The kids were playing with their father while I served dinner. We had stopped on the way to get food since it was already late.

I refused to talk about what happened in the hospital, the sheer fear on my daughter's face is not something I think I can forget soon.

How do I deal with all of this so it doesn’t affect my kids?

Dinner was a strained affair. The tension between Chris and I was so high that even our kids felt it.
Daniel, who was asleep through out the car ride home but was awake now.

I didn't want this for them. I wanted a happy and secure home where my kids would grow with the love of both parents. But what do I do now, when I don't know how to be happy and strong for their sakes?

The least I can do is act strong before them and for them. So, I stole a piece of meat from Chris's plate and picked the napkin to wipe some oil from his lips.

"Eat your greens babe," I smiled like everything was just peachy between us. I saw the look of puzzlement on his face when I met his eyes.

Just go along with it. I communicated through my stare.

"Thank you," he mouthed but his eyes were filled with gratitude as he grasped the reason for my strange actions.

We had our usual dinner time which had the twins relaxing and eventually playing with their food.

"Daniel, drop that game pad." I instructed when I saw where he was. He shot me a pitiful look before dropping the pad.  He had a bandage wrapped around his head but he still looked cute.

The animated voice of the cartoon on the television was playing in the background as I busied myself with wiping the surfaces in the kitchen and making a fresh batch of fruit juice.

"Meet your dad to brush your teeth," I gave him a stern look to effectively pass the message. "Ella please pack up those dolls and brush your teeth too" I directed.

"Mummy, I’m not sleepy" she whined.

"You have school tomorrow" I replied.

"Daddy, I'm not sleepy" she complained when she realized whatever she was doing, was not working on me.

Chris who entered the living room now, carried her in his arms and sat on the adjustable sofa. He had on his pajamas trousers and a white tee.

"Baby! You know princesses need their beauty sleep. So let's go prepare for bed." He was good with her, he always has been. They were each other’s favorites.

Why would he throw all of this away?

I have done nothing but love him unconditionally. What did I do to deserve this?

I was trying hard to hold myself together when all I really wanted to do is to fold over and cry.

I trudged to the twins room immediately I finished cleaning. The room was done in shades of blue. A huge lamp shaped like a half moon was at one corner of the room giving off blue LED light.