CHAPTER 7: So close yet apart.

*********

Only need the light when its burning low,
only miss the sun when it starts to snow
Only know your love her when you let her go,
but you let her go...Passenger - Let her go

********

October, 2018.

Lagos, Nigeria

Chris

Glass, she looked as fragile as glass.

Her back was to him from her position on a stool at the kitchen bar. One of her hands was supporting her chin, the other playing with the cereal she had in her favourite bowl.

Their kitchen was painted shades of grey and mauve. The counter top was shinny marble and the detailing of the kitchen was neat and intricate. It was huge and neatly arranged and equipped with all modern day equipments.

The blinds was drawn allowing sunlight flood the kitchen and illuminating Pamela's lone figure.

For a while Chris just stood there, taking it all in. Pamela was putting on something different from the day she left.

The grey sweatpants and black hoodie she had on swallowed her small frame. The clothes were familiar to Chris meaning she changed when she got home.

It's been two days since their encounter with Nina, Two whole days since she left home. At the moment he just wanted to hug her to hold her, to make sure she was here; well and sound.

The last two days felt like hell.

He was so worried, he called everyone they knew except her parents. It was too early to be dragging them into it.

Slowly like a mam starved of fresh quality air, Chris stood there at the doorway and took huge breaths. His feet's rooted to the ground scared to go further in like he was going to scare her away.

"Where are the kids, Christopher?" Pamela asked gently like a cloned real life robot.

She didn't need to turn back to know he was there. They were always attuned to each others presence.

Even when he did something really wrong, she never called him by his full name. It was always Ayomi, Babe, baba Ella, or my crown. Chris shoved that little piece of information deep down since they were obviously at that place now.

"They are at my parents, Temitope where have you been? I've been so worried" his voice was husky and low.

Pamela shrugged her shoulders, as if being away for two whole days wasn't a big deal. "I just drove around aimlessly, sorry for bothering you."

Something was off about her she was still so calm, it was eery.

Chris desperately wanted to fight those demons for her, he was still standing at the door scared of going further into the kitchen like she was going to run away.

The swirl of the dancing cereals in milk bath must have captivated Pamela because she kept staring at the mugs content and so Chris finally summoned courage to go in.

Immediately he stepped in she got up to empty the cereal down the sink. She loved cereals, so they had a wide range of varieties from fruity, coco pops, krunchy co, golden morn, cornflakes, sweet and tasty, rice krispies even Cerelac.