CHAPTER 3: Weirdo

"Tell me something girl, are you happy in this modern world? Or do you need more? Is there something else you searching for? I'm falling...in all the good times I find myself longing for change and in the bad times I fear myself......"_Shallow (Bradley cooper and Lady Gaga)

NEW YORK CITY, FEBRUARY 2015

PAMELA

Do we ever fully know anyone? Their thoughts, intentions, pain, struggle sometimes cannot be fully understood unless you walk in their shoes. Sometimes I wish we could take away the pain on their behalf but to each human their own path right?

I stared at the ceiling a while before deciding to interrupt her. Liz was crying again, I could hear her sniffles muffled by the pillow, but as usual her tears were noiseless almost like she was afraid to make a sound except for when she blew her nose. She folded her arms around herself as she rocked back and forth. "Lizzy stop doing this to me please, I always hurt when you do this."

Liz wasnt going to give me any reply and the tears still cascaded freely. Some nights she woke up crying, other nights she woke up screaming, Five years of friendship and I still did not know why. Her pain was buried deep down and I guess that was one of the reasons she was studying psychology, always covering it up with a façade of smiles and a bubbly personality.

Elizabeth or Liz as I always call her was drop dead gorgeous. I knew I looked okay but even I could acknowledge beauty when I saw it. A dim wit though, I chuckled a bit at the thought, she forgot stuff a lot and it was a miracle how she survived med school, but she poured out all her love into psychology. She fought her demons by helping others fight theirs I guess.

I shushed and comforted her, whispering soothingly while holding her in my arms. "Sleep baby, sleep. Baby do not cry. You will be a fine girl. God bless you." I sang to her.

She smiled and said "I'm a fine girl already."

I continued with a little sad smile till her eyes began to droop.

This posture is going to cause me body ache but it was all worth it. Some friends, you would move mountains for and she was worth mountains and valleys. If only I knew how to heal her pain.

*********
Clad in blue jeans trouser and a white shirt with my Nike sneakers, I hailed a cab and dragged myself to St Bonaventure hospital where I was on call. It was my last day as an intern doctor. I walked in, and got right to it.

Four hours later, with hunger twisting my insides, I trudged to Liz's office. Right now I could eat a beast and a feast still. I had the worst patients for the day; a 10-year-old boy who had a nail piercing his brow. I had to do an MRI and pull it out. The fool was looking at my boobs all through. If he wasn't hyper sensitive to opioids, I would have knocked him out or better still with my fist.

At such a small age he was so gone, I mean American kids were well grown above their ages anyways. Scratch that children of this generation regardless their country are well advanced above their age.
Well done o! Child of Methuselah. My subconscious mocked.

The other lady wanted me to bandage up her hands and give her bed rest so that she could be free from her triplet boys, that one was funny.

I walked into Liz's office. She graduated earlier because of her programme and was working already. A plate was in front of her with a sandwich in it. When Liz saw me, she tried to drop her diet coke and quickly pick it up because she knew what was going to happen.

Oh, not so smart Lizzy bear.

Hehehehe! I got my hands on it first of course and stuffed it in my mouth. In my rush, the ketchup she squeezed on it splashed on my blouse, I noticed but ignored it.

Twain Became Oneजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें