CHAPTER 13: The Mistress Son.

So many people are invested in your marital choice and prayers. In our society, your family wants you to marry from a responsible home, probably to a man or lady who will treat them well and allow you to do the same.

Your friends get invested too, but the surprising class is your workers, the drivers, cleaners, secretaries. In their defense they all have good reason for praying for you to settle down some good or bad.

Obi drove through the ever busy streets of Lagos. His boss, Chris sat at the owners corner and he kept sending glances towards him to make sure he was okay.

Their day was long and exciting he wondered gently if his oga(boss) liked the doctor lady. Obi prayed silently that his Oga will, if he does he'll never get married to Madam Nina whom he really hated.

After much internal debate, he cleared his throat to gain his Boss's attention.

"Erhm Oga," he adjusted his face cap nervously then continued, "Oga what of the aunty wey dey with you." He trained his eyes on the mirror to view Chris's expression.

As usual Chris didn't disappoint him with his tight lipped answer, "She left."

The answer wasn't satisfying but it was all he was going to get. Obi couldn't understand this man, even after being his driver for three years.

Chris doesn't drink, smoke he was sure the Oga doesn't sleep with Chikala's too. He made a quick sign of the cross when the thought of his Oga liking men came to his mind.

"Oga I like that doctor aunty o." Smiling sheepishly.

Chris stared at Obi wondering what his problem was with the little talks tonight, he knew how much he loved his peace and quiet.

You couldn't blame the poor man though for liking her so Chris joked, "Make I give you her number?"

Obi felt uncomfortable so he quickly broke out in Pidgin," Ah Oga, she no be my class o. She get small oyinbo tongue like you too."

Chris smiled at the drivers observation but was shocked when he added, "But Oga, she go fine for you o. As una sit down there together for back una match wella."

Chris couldn't help but laugh after his initial shock. "Obi when did you turn to my matchmaker? My friend please drive."

Yet he couldn't stop wondering about what happened earlier, he felt the need to tear her walls down and deliberately close her off to him.

The way she walked out on him kept playing in his minds eye. He was too stunned that she did not reply while he gave her his analysis of what he thought of her.

It was all a lie though, even though she acted rude and tough her eyes showed softness and kindness which wasn't how self absorbed people behaved, she just took care of a random stranger.

Her dress sense which he berated so much he actually admired. In the midst of immodesty she looked decent.
Pushing her away seems like the better idea. At first, he wanted to get to know her, until she tried to label him or better put until she saw through Chris.

There was pain in her, as she flinched when he described her. It was an old one he could see it easily because she did not try to hide it. The way she picked at the desert when the waiter brought it hurt him he wanted her to eat and be free with him yet he was pushing her away.

Chris knew he should have got up and followed he, but a part of him wouldn't let him.

In reality, Chris was a God person. He loved him with all his heart. It was God who picked up his pieces together and gave him a semblance of peace and hope. He should have just told her that was what the cross represented.