t w e n t y-s i x - i'll do it if you want

slow dance these summer nights,
our disco ball's my kitchen l i g h t . . .

🌊🌊🌊

The day Brody came home from his trip was significantly easier than the day he left. I didn't have to wake up quite as early, I wasn't dreading him being gone, and most importantly, I didn't have to say goodbye.

The bowl of cereal and iced coffee I downed for breakfast were left empty on the table, as I rested my feet on top of it while sitting on my front porch. It was a bright and breezy Sunday morning serving for a perfect day at the very end of August. Instead of the usual disgusting beach humidity that this month brings, today was an exception.

Tomorrow is the last day of August, and I've come to terms with the fact that summer is basically over. Another one in the books, patiently awaiting its time to be reflected on in the future.

As I watched the waves on the beach roll up and back wildly with the seagulls trying to fly against the strong wind, I heard a car door slam from down below. Freezing up, I listened for the beep that meant the car had locked. And it wasn't just any beep - it was the sound of the Jeep that belonged to Brody. I waited in my seat with a grin on my face as I heard him start walking up the old steps to my front door, where I saw his head pop up first. Just as he got to the top step, his eyes met with mine.

I didn't give him a second to do anything because I was already off the couch and in his arms.

"Did you miss me?" He mumbled into my ear, tightening his grip on me a little more so I wouldn't fall. My short legs were wound around his waist, while my arms were locked behind his neck and my face was dug into his shoulder.

At his sarcastic remark, I pulled my face away and rolled my eyes, but my smile wasn't going anywhere. "Shut up," I said before I drove my lips onto his.

Finally getting to embrace him – both his touch and his kiss – made a sense of warmth spread throughout my chest. From right in the middle of my heart all the way to my fingertips. It almost felt like he never left and that brief separation between us didn't exist.

Of course I wanted to hear all about his trip, but that couldn't compare to kissing him. Besides, we talked every day while he was gone and he kept me pretty updated on whatever was happening. The three hour time difference wasn't an obstacle for us, except for late at night when I needed to sleep. Other than that, I knew how well he did in both competitions, the prizes, awards, and honorable mentions he got, and so on. Hearing it in person would be better then over the phone, but right now, I just want to hug him until I lose feeling in my arms.

Moments later, when my legs started to cramp and I knew he didn't want to hold me up anymore, I pulled my lips off of his and let myself down. His arms remained around me, latching me to his chest as he smiled down at me.

"What?" I giggled, unable to hold it back.

"I wanna take you out to dinner tonight," he offered with a new kind of twinkle in his eyes. Similar to the sporadic transparency, but without as much vulnerability.

Either he was just really happy to see me, or something changed him on this trip. But I could tell there was a difference in him. The glow to his face, how he wouldn't let me out of his reach, and the look in those baby blues. Whatever it is, I like it.

"You don't have to do that," I denied softly. "You probably want to relax, you had a long trip."

"I want to. Come on, just nod your head," he whined and grabbed onto my chin with one hand, forcing my head to nod.