• 01 •

IT HAD HAPPENED AGAIN

IT HAD HAPPENED AGAIN. The nightmare she had eight years ago was scratching at the surface again, leaving her panting with a cold sweat at any memory it left in her brain. Like a sickness crawling into every corner in her mind, tormenting her with it like it was the devil itself. It was weird seeing her powers being affected by it, almost like she couldn't control herself no matter what.

Her red hair laid around the pillow like a halo consumed by fire and her eyes never left the window on the side in her room. On other days it calmed her, hearing the people who went out every night. How the city was alive.

But this time it made her restless.

Annoyed she closed her eyes, wishing to just fall asleep again, without any disturbance stirring inside of her, wanting to wake her up in the middle of the night. She threw her blanket to the side, missing the slight warmth from it already before she was standing up slowly. The redhead already knew what she had to do so her mind would calm down, making those nightmares disappear again. Her body felt stiff while she stretched her arms and legs.

As she walked towards her door, her eyes caught her own reflection from the mirror in her room. Her eyes had an orange golden shimmer in them, her skin looking like the power inside of her wanted to break out of her entire body, creating golden lines, cracking her skin in the process.

It left orange and red marks on her skin when she used her powers, it was a look she had seen before, way too many times for her.

Shaking her head she disappeared through her door, walking into the kitchen. Her apartment was small but enough. The one thing she really was glad about where her neighbors, Dawn and Hank, as they had introduced themselves to her, lived inside the other apartment since she came. A cute couple, really.

Knowing it would calm her down, Daphne made herself a cup of tea, waiting for the boiler to finish the water.

Her finger tapped against the wood of the table, flashes of her nightmare came to her mind, almost blinding her with the imagines. She needed to distract her thoughts, the sound from the boiler brought her out of her mind and the redhead grabbed it, almost eager to fill her teacup with the warm water.

She flopped down on her couch, while her left hand turned on the TV, zipping through networks she had no interest in.

The warmth of her tea made her relax, stopping on one channel as the news came on.

It was nothing new and Daphne almost changed the channel, but suddenly the video they showed got her attention. The video was about a fight, the two heroes that call themselves Hawk and Dove thought off some bad guys and the redhead shook her head with a little smile.

She knew who they were and if she was honest, they weren't that sneaky about it either.

The heroes slept in the apartment next to her. The redhead had seen Hank and Dawn in those costumes as they quietly wanted to get in. But the noise they had made a few years ago alerted her and as a good neighbor, she knocked on their door only to find it not be closed fully.