46. Running

It was cold, dark, and damp. Arthur opened his eyes and saw that he was in a cave. He looked around and recognized his surroundings as the Badlands. He had been here before, but he couldn't place it. How did he get here? His head hurt so very much. He just needed to get back to Lucy who was safe and sound in the castle.

He pushed himself up from the damp floor and groaned. Sleeping on a cave floor was never ideal, but this one had left him particularly sore. His body ached from head to toe.

For a moment he considered how he got here. He couldn't remember anything and before he could think about it more a giant bat swooped down, right above his head, trying to grab him. He pushed himself to his feet and lunged forward, out of the way of the second attack from the giant bat. Then he ran.

He ran for the exit but he didn't know where it was. All he could think about was getting out of this nightmare and returning to Lucy.

He kept running though. He ran as fast as he could and for as long as his legs would carry him. He ran until he finally found the exit. The light at the end of the tunnel was near and all he wanted was to get home.

As he exited the cave he entered the castle. He breathed a sigh of relief. He was finally home again. He took a moment to catch his breath. He ran so long he was winded. How far had he run?

He began searching for Lucy so he could tell her about his wild dream. He was stalking the halls looking for her when he decided to ask someone for help. He reached out to one of the maids to see if she had seen Lucy, but his hand went right through her.

Arthur stumbled backwards in shock. What had just happened?

He reached out again, and the same thing happened. He was a ghost. Was he dead? Is this heaven? This couldn't be real, he thought. This must just be a really bad dream. But why couldn't he wake up? 

He began running down the corridors, shouting out Lucy's name. He needed to find her. He needed to figure out what was going on. Hadn't he just been lying next to her before all this started? Why couldn't he find her?

He raced into the library, knowing that was Lucy's favorite room in the castle. He saw her in front of the fireplace. What was she doing? He was getting closer, trying to see the objects in front of her when suddenly he was ripped away to settle in eternal darkness.

"You love her?" The familiar voice asked. It was Merlin, Arthur realized as the Round Table room materialized before him. Merlin stood across the table from him, his staff in hand.

"I do." Arthur nodded. What was this about?

"Do you trust her?"

Arthur gulped. It wasn't a lack of trusting her, more of a fear of losing her. Fear that he would lose another person he loved. She was in danger and he wasn't there to protect her. He felt vulnerable and nothing he could do would change that. 

"I do," he nodded again, more hesitantly.

"Arthur, sir, I understand you are still grieving the loss of your parents, and adjusting to your new responsibilities, but you cannot run a kingdom alone."

"I know that." Art smirked arrogantly.

"Then you know that should anything ever happen to you, she will have to go on without you. In a kingdom that is not hers." Merlin told him while staring intently. His stare so intense made the hairs on Arthur's arm stand up. What was the old man getting at?

"Nothing is going to happen to me!" Arthur bellowed back. He would never let anything happen. He couldn't.

"Are you so sure? Do you know where you are?" Merlin cocked his head as he asked the question. It made Arthur feel uneasy.

"I'm obviously having a bad dream. I just need to get out of this nightmare and back to Lucy. She needs me."

"Wrong. On all counts." Merlin sighed, "We are in the void, the space between life and death. Besides, Lucy is fine, she can take care of herself."

"What does that mean, the space between life and death?" Arthur cocked his head skeptically.

"It means there are only 2 exits from this place, one is back to your physical being, and the other is more permanent."

"I could die in here!"

"The void is an endless, omnipotent place. It bares your soul to you, but to navigate it safely one needs a guide. I am here as that guide."

"I don't understand. How did I get here and how do I get out?"

"Mary sent you here. She cast a powerful spell and pushed your soul into the void. Those with a mage bloodline can hear the guide's voice. She did it knowing that you might not make it out alive."

"That little b- ," Arthur was cut off.

"Yes, she was quite devious." Merlin spoke.

"Now what?" Arthur asked.

"You continue through the Void. You've already made it through one trial, you just have two more to go."

"The cave?" Arthur enquired.

"Yes." Merlin nodded.

Arthur sighed. This was going to be a long day.

______________________________________
Authors Note:
Greetings! I still exist. I cannot apologize enough for my absence. I wish I could promise that my presence will be more consistent, but right now I can't. What I can promise is that an ending to this book is coming!

Thanks for all the love and support despite my absence. I really appreciate it.

- Surviving ❤