33. All is Fair

He let her leave with the hopes she just needed some time to calm down and come to her senses. She needed to understand that not everyone can be saved. He wished that there was something more that he could do about it but his hands were tied and his priority was protecting his kingdom. He let his head sink into his palms letting the frustration fill him. They had been making progress, talking and being open and she immediately shut down on him again. It was as if she was determined to take on the world all by herself. Why couldn't she see that he was only trying to help?

He didn't have too much time to dwell on the matter as Bedievere soon joined him.

"Things not going well?" Bedievere asked casually. He was always being of service and his loyalty to the crown was truly appreciated by Arthur.

"No, not really."

"Anything I can do to help?"

"Tell me why women are crazy would be a good place to start."

"What happened to the girl this time?" Bedievere sighed, a little annoyed how distracting her presence had been on Arthur. He had a kingdom to run and much more important priorities that he already had been neglecting.

"I told her that her sister is the rumored 'black witch' and that I want to send her to Eildon Hills with Merlin until this matter is dealt with and the city is safe again." Arthur sighed. When had this world descended into utter chaos?

"So you told her that you are sending her away while you are 'dealing' with her sister."

"Yes." Arthur nodded.

"Pardon me sir, but you are an idiot sometimes," Bedievere said seriously.

"Excuse you?" Arthur gasped.

"Sir, I understand that you care deeply for the girl, but sometimes its better if you don't reveal everything all at once." The Knight suggested.

"Are you asking me to lie to her?" Arthur looked at him incredulously.

"No. But maybe giving her information in controlled portions." Bedievere shrugged.

Mága suddenly burst through the double doors with a heated look on her face. "Where is Lucy?"

"We had an argument, she went to her room," Arthur replied solemnly. How was he going to fix this? Better yet, when would she start seeing sense?

"No, I just came from there, she isn't there. What did you argue about?" Mága said. All three of them exchanged looks, all wondering if Lucy was really dumb enough to run away by herself.

"I told her that I wanted her to return with Merlin to Eildon Hills and that this supposed 'Black Witch' might be her sister."

"You are an idiot." Mága shook her head at him, clearly agreeing with Bedievere's assessment of Arthur's actions.

"We need to break up and find her now." Mága urged him. He quickly got up out of his seat and agreed. He wouldn't let anything bad happen to Lucy.

"I will check the library, you shall search elsewhere," Mága ordered and then jetted off towards the library. Arthur was in slight disbelief. She wouldn't really go after her sister, would she? He needed to see her room for himself. If she really left her stuff would be missing.

"I'm going to her room." He said to Bedievere then raced off to her room hoping maybe Mága just missed her and he could talk to her. When he got there though, his suspicions were confirmed. Some of her clothes were missing along with the bag she brought when she first started staying at the castle. Lucy was in trouble, she had no idea what she was running into. He turned around to chase after her when he ran into Bedievere.

"Excuse me," Arthur said, trying to step around the man and go after her.

"Sir," Bedievere said solemnly, "I think you should think very carefully about your actions next. Is this girl really worth all this trouble?"

"Bedievere step aside."

"She has chosen the enemy, you do not need her or the perils she will bring."

"She is going to get herself killed and your just going to stand there? Get out of my way, do not make me ask you again." Arthur glared at his friend.

"As you wish your majesty." Bedievere conceded, stepping out of the way. As Arthur looked around he saw Percival standing there watching the whole scene.

"Will you also be lecturing me about my decision?" Arthur asked the man curtly.

"I only ask that you don't go alone, please allow me to come with."

"I will be fine, you guys should stay here and watch the city," Arthur suggested. He just needed to find her and bring her back. He wasn't about to ask for help.

"And if you are ambushed and captured?" Percival asked cockily.

Arthur flashed him a cocky smile in return. "I can handle myself, besides, it's you guys I'm worried about. I don't know if you can handle it without me." He patted Perci on the shoulder with a chuckle then walked past him and headed toward the armory to acquire his sword.

He didn't like carrying it around and flaunting it, it would only antagonize enemies who were jealous. He reserved its use for serious situations only and going into enemy territory alone was definitely a serious situation. Luckily the armory was stocked with a variety of equipment where he was able to grab a few extra knives and gear to aid him on his trip. Once he collected everything he needed he headed to the stables to acquire his horse.
Maybe if he hurried he'd beat Lucy there.

Obviously, she would go for a horse if she was running and he knew Rowan had a sweet spot for her. He couldn't blame the kid, she was something else. She wasn't like normal girls and for as much as he loved that, it also annoyed him. It would be so much easier if she'd just listen to him.

He ran down to the stables where he found Rowan standing out front, almost as if he was expecting Arthur.

"Sir, I'm sorry sir. I tried to stop her, but she is just so convincing. Please don't be mad at her, my resolve should have stayed stronger."

"Enough Rowan." He quieted the boy. "Just get me a horse and tell me which direction she headed."