Chapter 4 - Victor

It's early, and I just finished a small mission. For the most part, we've finished placing all of the cameras in the school, Ashley Waters, and I just had to set them up and make sure they were working. Though, there were a few rooms Luke was incapable of putting them in. McCoy's room, for instance.

Poor Luke, he'd been up all night just setting up those cameras. Mr. B insisted he go home and have some rest. I already got some shut eye while I was waiting for him to finish, so while I'm still a little tired, I'll be just fine. Not having any rest isn't a new thing for me, anyway.

I decided to just mosey on over to Kota's; we had some shopping to do with Silas today, anyway. And I was positive Kota would be up by now. He always is. So I figured now was as good a time as any.

Pulling my gray BMW up to his driveway, I notice that his mom Erica's car is gone. I feel for her. She's a very kind woman who takes good care of her children--unlike my parents--and yet she's still nearly wearing herself thin with these late night shifts at the hospital. Come to think of it, the Doc's been pretty tired lately, too. I'm gonna have to find a way convince him that just because he's the doctor, doesn't mean he doesn't need rest just like everyone else.

Using the key I have to Kota's house--the one I was given in case of an emergency--I unlock the front door and walk inside. Just the same as always, warm and homey. Kota has his own past with his father, but at least he's gone now and him, Jessica, and Erica are safe. Thank God for that.

I make my way up the stairs to his room above the garage, purposefully being loud to announce my presence. I hadn't seen him downstairs, so he must still be in his room.

I'm proven correct when I walk in, seeing a mass under the covers of his bed. "Hey Kota!" I call out, still trying to be as loud as possible. "Still sleeping? What's wrong with you?" I leap onto the bed, trapping Kota in the covers. My legs fall over his, sitting on top of him and searching for his wrists under the blanket.

For some reason Kota feels... smaller. I don't let myself dwell on that strange thought, though, deciding it's probably just because of the bulky comforter. "Are you getting up or what?" I ask playfully. "The world is spinning on without you."

"Victor," Kota's voice is suddenly coming from the other side of the room. Wait... Kota?! But if that's Kota, then who is...

I'm quick to let go of the person's arms and scramble off of them, yanking the blanket off to reveal a petite girl, face shielded by small arms. "Who..." my question is left unsaid, my voice getting caught in my throat the moment the girl's arms come down. My God, she's the most beautiful creature I've ever seen. She's like a symphony, so beautiful and angelic. And if I heard her voice, I'm sure it would sound like the perfect melody, music to my ears.

But the thing that really stands out on her perfect face, the part that really draws me in, are her eyes. They're beautiful. I've never seen anything like them. They aren't quite emerald, but they aren't light either. They're just... gorgeous. But I think the best word to describe them is sad. I would know; I'm quick to recognize the haunted gleam in another's irises. I've been there myself, and I can't help but feel my blood boil. Someone hurt her, and I have to find out who. I don't even know her name, and I want to save her.

She looks up at me frantically, and I can't even blame her for the fear I see in her eyes. I practically just suffocated her, a complete stranger. Shit, I feel like such an idiotic ass.

"Victor, this is Sang."

"Um..." I move off the bed completely and stand up, nervous all of a sudden. "What are you doing here?" I ask the princess in front of me, unsure at how to handle the situation. Damn it, that sounded rude, didn't it? I keep screwing things up. "I mean, in his bed?" I try to backpedal. Her scared face slowly turns into a blush, and I can't help but let my mind wander. I wonder how far that blush goes.