Chapter 26 - Luke

I have to bring her home now, and I hate the feeling it brings me. I don't want to leave her all alone in that house, and I definitely don't want to be the one to take her back. That'll just make it that much harder to say goodbye.

"Alright, are you ready, Cupcake?" I ask her, watching as she gives one last hug goodbye. The pain in my brother's eyes is hard to see. But I'm sure my chocolate eyes have never looked less sweet and more bitter than this very moment.

Sean releases his hold on her and she sends him a sad smile before taking my outstretched hand and standing by my side.

"Make sure she gets home safe," North orders.

"Of course," is all I say in reply.

Everyone gives her one final parting bye in their own special ways. And Mr. B, instead of calling her darling like he so shockingly did earlier, calls her by her surname, which we were informed just minutes ago is actually Sorenson. I guess it's his way of maintaining control, though it's so easy to see it's beginning to slip through his hands. But it's no pressing matter; Sang is there to catch it.

Sang and I both, waving one last goodbye, finally take our leave with great reluctance.

We quickly cross the street to Sang's house, but it's still very early in the morning and the sun has just risen. From what I've been told so far, Sang's mother likes to sleep in and her sister likes to sneak out, so she's most likely still gone from her late-night adventures. As for her dad, he's rarely home, always on business trips--or so he claims. Sang told us she has an inkling that he's just out with another woman, partaking in a scandalous infidelity. She does have a way with words.

If it were someone like Gabe sharing that kind of news, he'd call it humping and bumping behind his wife's back. I guess he also has his own, unique way with words.

Before we left, Sang shared with us the news that she'd climbed up and down this tree--along with many others--numerous times in the past to sneak out into the woods, so she's become a pro. Either way, I help hoist her up and support her by resting my hand on her lower back when she's finally up. As she climbs up to her window, I mount the tree and follow.

Once there, she opens the window as quietly as possible and carefully crawls inside; I do the same with just as much stealth. I'm astounded by how sneaky she is. She'd be the perfect pranking buddy. Her, Gabe, and I will have so much fun with that in the future.

Her footsteps are silent as she sneaks over to her door that just so happens to be locked. She unlocks it and slowly opens it, careful not to let it squeak. It's a good thing this house is fairly new, so her actions are soundless. She peeks her head out and searches her surroundings as well as listens to the noises of the house to make sure the coast is clear. It seems it is and no one is awake, so she softly closes the door and turns around to look at me with a beaming smile.

"We did it!" she signs enthusiastically.

"Great job, cupcake! You are a sneaky little thing, aren't you? Nathan mentioned you being like a little monkey. I guess he was right. You're the perfect spy." I sign back, my grin matching hers, but no where near as lovely.

"But you should probably go before she wakes up. Her drugs should be wearing off soon, and I don't want you to be here when she wakes up. Besides, if Marie decides to actually return home, I don't want her to see you sneaking out or hiding up in my room. So it's best to just leave now."

"Sang, I don't want to leave you."

She sighs, "I know, and I don't want you to leave either. But it's for the best."

I nod reluctantly, knowing she's right. Until we talk to Dr. Roberts about officially adopting Sang into our family, we can't really do anything, which makes me feel beyond livid and also so incredibly sad and guilty. I hate the thought of having to just sit and do nothing while Sang gets the shit beat out of her. What kind of a man does that make me?

"Okay, I'll leave. But I promise tomorrow at scheduling, we'll make sure you aren't alone. Come and find us when you get there. Victor mentioned having your phone ready for you tomorrow, so you'll just pick it up from him then."

She nods, understanding, and I give her a quick parting hug, careful not to squeeze too hard because of her injuries. I pull back, resting one of my hands on the back of her head, and pull her head in a little as I lean down to give her forehead a gentle kiss, wondering what it would be like to actually kiss her lips.

She smiles softly and waves as I leave, sparing one last glance at her bare room, containing only a twin sized bed, a small dresser, and a shelf full of books.

And as I climb down the tree and take one last look up at her open window, I see her standing there and already looking at me as I leave. The sadness in her green eyes returns as I slowly begin to back away, like all the light in her life is fading. And I make a promise to myself: even if I'm not at her side or in her presence, I'll always be there for her in whatever way she needs me.

I may want to further our relationship. I may want to be more than just friends, but if that's all she wants, I'll learn to live with it. Having her in some way is better than not having her at all. My heart breaks a little at even the mere thought of her leaving me or my brothers.

And I make another internal promise to myself and the girl I care for so deeply:

Sang Sorenson, I will be anything and everything you want me to be, so long as you stay.
______________________________________

Short, but I figured it would be a nice surprise seeing as I posted a chapter extremely early this morning. So, two chapters in one day!

And another should be coming soon, though I doubt another will be posted today. I don't actually have much to do today, as my schedule is cleared and it's my free day, but I'll probably start writing the next chapter later.
As always, until next time...

Sincerely,
Tori