Chapter 13: Unnatural Amity

Start from the beginning

"Aurora wait up." He huffed, jogging to meet my pace. I kept walking.

"Aurora." he grabbed my wrist and turned me around a little too forcefully. "Look.....I was scared. I was scared when Hailey called me and told me a tall man took you away from her side at the pet shop. Of course I would think of the worst!"

I yanked my wrist out of his hand and crossed my arms around my chest.

"I hope you can see where I'm coming from, Aurora. He's the same man as we saw at the Halloween store a while back, isn't he?" He desperately tried to make the connection, attempting to draw some sort of answer out of me. I didn't answer.

He's also the same man I saw before the accident, I thought to myself.

"Isn't he?!" He demanded, grabbing my wrist again and sounding more hostile and frantic than ever.

"Hailey, Aurora!" An older voice sounded, breaking Dean's attention from me. He quickly dropped his tight hold on my wrist, and even took a small step away from me, making the situation seem as normal as ever. What the fuck?

Regardless, I took it as a chance to slip away from him once more, making my way towards Hailey's mother, who was poking half her body out of the front door. A cigar hung loosely from her lips and she was dressed in a tie dye shirt with a pair of old, baggy sweatpants. Hailey was already at the door, and I assumed she walked past Dean and I as we were "talking".

"Hello Mrs. Anders, nice to see you." Dean said in a much more polite tone, casting a fake smile towards her. "I apologize for everything today. Sorry for bringing Hailey back so late, too."

"Now don't you worry about that stuff, boy." She puffed out smoke, waving her hand at him. "s'long as everyone's upright 'nd workin' then it's fine. Aurora, you stayin the night?"

"Yes ma'am, if that's alright." I respond for good manners, even though Hailey's home was my second home.

"Just let the old man know." she scratched her stomach from under her shirt, and disappeared back into the house.

Hailey slightly cringed at the encounter with her mom who had payed little-to-no attention to her. "...I'll be upstairs." she pointed her thumb towards the house, and quickly shuffled inside.

Fuck, Hailey, you were supposed to save me.

I turned to face Dean and instinctively held my wrist, which had a red mark from where he grabbed me. His eyes followed the motion, and there was a hint of regret held in them. He looked back up at me.

"I'm sorry, fuck-I'm sorry. I hurt your wrist didn't I?"

"It's not about my wrist, Dean." I snapped, sick of his mood swings. "I have enough on my plate as it is, and so do you. I don't need you butting into whatever human contact I have with the outside world, okay? You're busy with your studies and football, so don't worry about me."

He furrowed his brows and chewed on his bottom lip, staring at me intently for a few seconds before replying.

"Okay, okay. Fair enough." He complied. "But promise me one thing?"

"What is it?"

"Whatever you do, don't come in contact with those two men ever again."

I snorted, and turned on my heels.

"Aurora, wa-" his voice was cut off by the sound of the door slamming shut.

Who the fuck does he think he is???

I angrily sighed, angrily untied my shoelaces, and angrily skipped up the stairs to Hailey's room.

Oh, and I angrily threw myself onto her couch too.

She came out of the bathroom shortly after my silent rampage, a towel wrapped around her hair. She looked much more calm than in the pet shop, and in the car when Dean dragged me out of the house.

I contemplated on what to say for a while, but she never brought it up. We talked about kittens instead, completely ignoring everything else. She told me that they were currently curled up in her mom's room, probably on her lap as she watched television with that same brown cigar lolling around her mouth.

"So you just ran around the store looking for them?"

"Fuck no. That crazy woman who mopped up your blood paged some workers who went on a wild goose chase to find them. They even temporarily closed the store so that nobody would open the doors and let them out."

She laughed lightly and I laughed too, although I had so many things to say and I knew she had so many questions to ask me. Like why she looked so distressed at the sight of Hades. Or why I agreed to go with him. Or why she snitched and told Dean what I was up to, though I couldn't be mad at her for doing so.

Hailey was sprawled out on her bed and we were both flipping through social media on our phones mindlessly as we talked. But when it went silent, I knew I had to bring it up. Bring some part of it up.

"I-" I started, but Hailey knew, and she shook her head. "Not today, Aurora. Let's just chill, and we can talk about it tomorrow?"

I agreed, and allowed myself to push the heavy topic to the back of my head for the time being. I too just wanted to relax. It was already 8:00 pm, and my head was starting to weigh me down from the ruckus of the day.

"If I shower, can I borrow some clothes?" I asked, and she nodded, scowling at me as she said I didn't even have to ask at this point.

I thanked her, and grabbed a few things including a towel from her shelf. Making my way towards the bathroom, I reached into my pocket, digging around for the small piece of paper Zeus had given me before I left.

It wasn't there.

I looked, and looked, and even took my pants off and flapped them around violently in the air in hopes of a small piece of paper flying out.

Nope, nothing. Way to go Aurora.

How many things can possibly go wrong in one day?

I quickly took a warm shower and by warm, I mean scalding hot, in hopes of rinsing away everything that happened, alongside the poor first layer of my skin. Of course, I made sure not to get any of it onto my wound, and tenderly scrubbed that area off to the side.

As I emerged from the heat waves of the bathroom, with forgotten black eyeliner smudged around my eyes, Hailey choked on her soda at the sight of me and asked if I resurrected Satan during my shower.

I responded with a gruff "no", not even in the mood to laugh at her lame jokes at this point.

I made sure to text my father and tell him I was staying over before it got too late and slipped my mind. To my surprise, I got no text from Dean. He finally shut up.

Hailey helped me bring out the air mattress which I often used when sleeping over at her house, and crashed on, not bothering to dry my hair. I had class in the afternoon of the following day, and hoped I would catch a cold overnight so that I'd have an excuse not to go.

The last time I looked at the time on my phone was when it said "warning-low battery" at 11:23.

***

HELL-O LOOOOOONG UPDATE!!!
Amity- noun
A friendly relationship.

What do you guys think about Dean in this chapter? IS HE ACTING WEIRD OR WHAT?? *nudge nudge*.

Also, are you guys catching the occasional Satan and hell jokes I keep dropping? This is Hades, after-all!

Haha remember to vote and comment if you enjoyed it! See ya guys next time xoxo
Ps- Auroras mom is my mood 24/7.