Chapter 13: Unnatural Amity

~Aurora's Point of View~

After practically tossing me into the car, the beginning of the tense, anger-filled atmosphere of a car ride commenced. Hailey was in the backseat, chewing on her fingernails looking more distressed than I've ever seen her. And Dean was gripping the steering wheel so tightly his knuckles were white.

But why?

What was the problem with me meeting other people, and possibly making friends other than Dean and Hailey? I'm not even sure if "friends" is the correct term to use in this situation, but they seemed friend-ly enough to assume so. Hades was just trying to help, and Zeus?

"What did they do to you?" Dean interrupted my thoughts. You could see steam puffing out of his ears if you looked close enough.

"Nothing!" I spat back incredulously.

"Nothing, huh." he laughed. "A man drives you to his house and its nothing?" I stay quiet and keep staring out of the window as an attempt to hold my own ground. He continues.

"You disappear with this unknown man for a while and its nothing!" he jerks his hands and the car swerves slightly. "I come to his mansion, and find you with another man....who-who I and your father don't know,  and its NOTHING?" I flinched the sound of him raising his voice.

"It's none of your business what I do and who I speak with." I spoke coolly, but it seemed to anger him even more.

"Dean..." Hailey's voice intervened from the back seat. They made eye contact in the rear-view mirror and he let out a sigh, releasing the steering wheel with one hand to run it down his face.

What?

"Just....explain the situation to me in detail please before I lose my shit."

***

After gently explaining everything to him, he calmed down slightly. From the incident in the pet shop with the kittens, to Hades restoring my stitches and  until the moment he stepped foot in the mansion, I went over it all. He carefully looked over my injured arm the best he could while driving, face full of concern and maybe even slight irritation. I made sure to leave out the part about what Zeus said to me before I left, and the small crumpled paper he gave to me. He would have lost his shit for sure, and I wasn't looking forward to another car accident.

Although he was quickly angered, he believed my words without a doubt, which made absolutely no sense. For someone who was so overprotective, he sure was thick-skulled.

We made it to Hailey's house soon after I finished, and I started to feel skittish. She was like the peacemaker in the car and I don't want to be left alone in this particular moment with Dean.

No, I don't even want him to drive me home.

He parked on the side of the street in front of her house and turned the key, which meant he too was getting out. He stepped out to come open the door for Hailey, as he always does out of politeness, and I quickly turned to her.

"Let me sleep over please, quick!" I pleaded and she nodded quickly before Dean appeared at her door.

That's one less problem I have to deal with.

As he opened her door, I opened my own which bumped into him since he was too close.

"I'm staying the night." I said, even though I didn't have to explain it to him. I don't have to explain anything to him, but I always end up doing so without realizing it.

I walked right past him, avoiding any small talk he might want to throw in during his last chance today. I saw Hailey shoot him an apologetic look out of the corner of my eye but I ignored it.