1 7 | L O N E L Y H E A R T

Start from the beginning

This whole night's a wreck.

"We could watch for a while," I try to find some common ground, "it's not too loud down here. We could drink until we get up the nerve to sing."

I'm not a singer, and I think I've been through enough tonight. But if it makes you happy...

"Yes, more drinks!" Evan's already on her third, she's too small to handle much more, and Mark has made himself useful watching her like a hawk. Following her from bar to bar, playing the part of protective gay friend perfectly.

"Well, if no one else will sing with you, I will." Peter's offer strikes jealousy deep inside of me. I feel it rooting in my gut, weaseling up to my brain.

"Oh, Peter-" Damn that smile of yours immediately disarms me, "would you? Is that okay, Sarah?"

She downs her entire beer in one gulp, Peter laughs. "You can pick it out." He says stepping out of the way for you.

He smiles that boy-band smile my way. 

I hate this.

I hate this.

I hate this.

Play nice...

Play nice...

Play nice...

"Alright! It says we've got fifteen minutes." You coo lacing your fingers into mine. You beam up at me, your amber eyes tickling my stomach. "Thank you, Joe." You stand on your tip-toes to kiss my cheek making everything worthwhile. "I know this isn't your ideal date, but I appreciate it. You're a gem."

I can do this...

I can do this...

I can do this...

A song is no more than five minutes, I can let him borrow you for five minutes. It's what you want, and I can respect that.

I can, Leila.

I really can.

"Yo, book boy!" Evan is sloshed. "You lettin' him step into your lady? Huh?" She messes with her wig and laughs. Damn. "Better be careful!"

"Alright, I'm cutting you off." Mark finally decides to stop fueling her and downs her drink before she gets the chance. He looks at me and smiles apologetically. "Don't worry about Peter," he says, "he's a one girl kind of guy. I've known him for a while and he's never cheated, never dumped a girl, he'll stay in what's comfortable for as long as he can. And right now, that's Sarah."

"Yeah, but Sarah seems to be at the end of her rope." I nod off at the skinny blonde tapping away on her phone as you and Peter get ready. 

Mark shrugs. "Yeah, well...I never liked her. So maybe that's a good thing? To each his own."

"She fucking hates Leila!" Evan's back in the game, pointing a slender finger blatantly back in Sarah's direction. "Look at her!"

We all do, and I have little doubt in my mind she's on her phone right now messaging all of her friends about you, Leila. You're too nice for your own good. You're blind to it.

"Whatever, bitch." Mark grabs Evan by her shoulders and leads her to a booth. I follow. "Let's get you some water. Okay? You're sloppy drunk. We need you at fun drunk."

He leaves her with me, and the two of us turn our attention back to you. "You're in for a treat." Evan coos. "She's got some serious pipes."

Hm, really now? "She sings?"

"Yep!" She hiccups. "Use to do it competitively in high school. Was even in a glee club before the bullying started. She doesn't sing much now, but I know she misses it."