THE TICK (PART 1) - Chapter 1.

" Here i stand
raw and naked ,
seldom am i existential !

All i seek is purpose

Here i stand
contradicting and dichotomous ,
seldom am i existential !

All i seek is meaning

to use my strange quirks
to open my eyes
for a tomorrow
my father couldn't even dream of ."

Family was always a mystery for Issa , he grew up feeling like an island ...
popped up suddenly out in the middle of an ocean , has no collection of the past , nor plans for the future , confused and having an existential crisis every waking hour .
being the only child of Hassan and Sumathi who themselves were isolated from their families because of their inter faith marriage , Issa learned to appreciate the companionship of solitude and talks he has with himself .
Hassan who was always on the road inorder of his business and sumathi who was a grief stricken woman who has lost a lot in her short term of life due to she prioritising her love towards hassan than the status quo and traditions of her society .
The fact that she had to raise Issa pretty much alone at hassan's absence gave both issa and sumathi a shared sense of loneliness and they recognized and acknowledged the absence of a mother-son bond .

Hassan was a Yemeni arab who was born to an Iranian father and a yemeni mother ;
He met sumathi at Goa on his pleasure trip with his friends .
Sumathi's origin is from Bombay , born and brought up in a Christian neighborhood , well read and educated was an atheist and a bit of a communist.
As in every marriage , hassan and sumathi did have their best days when they travelled through out india , lived on the road doing menial jobs , they had all the happiness in the world just in between them .
After the vagabond phases , sumathi and hassan wanted to settle down some where and raise a kid ,
As every parent they wanted to give the best to their child and they chose a city with all the luxury and happiness money could buy .

-----+++++-----

Standing at the curb of Sheikh Zayed road for a moment issa froze , bright dubai nights filled with posh cars zooming past him came to a still for him , all he could see was lines of different coloured lights drawn in front of him and complete silence ;
None of the ruckus of dubai seemed to bother him .
He could hear his loud thumping of his heart , gush of air filling his lungs , slow desert breeze brushing up against his hair and frequent bangs of a gong .

It's been sometime this same has started to repeat , issa freezes suddenly in the public and feels as if he has been lifted of this world and the only thing he hears is a gong ringing , followed by a feeling of emptiness and heavy heartedness .
He always felt as something has been missing or has been placed far away which belongs to him and has been trying to call him in .
None of the luxury of Dubai managed to fill the void in him , at nights he used to constantly dream of rain and snow where he is drenched first and then frozen then , he hears some kind of recitation in his dream and he could feel his lips trying hard to mouth those as if someone was teaching something and he fumbling hard to by heart it .

He snaps out of his numbness when an old man taps him on his shoulder asking him something in a language he could not understand , he slowly feels as if he was lowered to this world and now he looks up at the cloudy sky to see the Burj khalifa illuminated with lights among the clouds .