Chapter 18: A Plan to Change Us All

Começar do início

Needless to say, I caught my kills easy, bringing back a decent looking squirrel, and a plump rabbit. I'm skinning them as Cato comes into our little clearing, carrying with him a pretty good squirrel.

Cato looks at me, and laughs- a real, carefree laugh that I'm not sure has ever been heard in the Games before. "I swear, this was pure luck, and nothing else."

I smile, and laugh a little myself. "I was going to give you some credit there for a moment."

He shakes his head. "I didn't really know how hard it was, but I will say I didn't have high hopes in the beginning anyway."

I study him for a moment, as he walks over and sits down next to me. "I didn't imagine you... Like this."

He scoffs. "What? Not enough of the full of it guy you were expecting?" He shakes his head. "Don't worry, he's there. For some reason... I'm just this completely different person around you."

"Bad boy gone nice?" I joke.

He actually nods slowly. "Yeah. That's a way to put it... But only for you, Princess."

I look down, not knowing how to respond.

We finish cooking the food, and Lucas joins us while we eat. As we are almost done, we all snap to attention as we hear someone crashing through the woods.

A girl comes stumbling into our clearing, and was met with an arrow notched and aimed at her face; a sword drawn, ready to strike; and two knives, prepared to throw.

The girl- Elias- has a wild look in her eyes, and she takes a few steps back, her hands held up in surrender. "Don't kill me... Please," she whimpers.

Cato lowers his sword, and I look at him in shock. Cato? Lowered his sword?

I hesitate, but I lower my bow. As soon as the arrow is pointed at the ground, Lucas slides his knives away.

Elias still looks worried, as she should be. She doesn't speak.

"Cato?" I ask.

"Yes, love?"

Elias blinks, probably questioning what she had just heard. Don't blame her.

"What... Are you doing?"

"Bringing my plan to action. Elias here-" he looks to her. "That is your name, correct?"

She nods.

"Yes, Elias, we need her help."

I must look so confused, because I really was. "Um... Go on then?"

"Don't worry. It's going to work," Cato smiles, and steps closer to Elias.

He leans close to her, and whispers something in her ear. She keeps nodding, and Lucas and I look at each other in question. He shrugs his shoulders in question, and I do the same.

Cato steps back. "I... I can try." Elias speaks softly.

"It is the only way I can think of." Cato tells her.

"I understand... And I suppose I have nothing to lose." Elias gives a humorless, shaky laugh.

Cato doesn't contradict her. "Head that way," he points north, to the side of us. "You should come across it in a mile or two."

She nods. It's quiet for a moment, and I hear her stomach rumble. I turn around, and grab a leg of rabbit meat. I walk over to her, putting it in her hand.

"Th- Thank you..." Elias looks surprised.

I give a sort of half smile, and Elias heads in the direction Cato had pointed out. "Hope to see you in a bit!" Elias calls over her shoulder.

Cato gives a small wave, and then turns to us. "I don't expect we'll ever see her again."

My eyebrows draw together. "What?"

He sighs. "Care to hear my plan, you two?"

We huddle close together, and you could hear the birds cry in the silence as we waited for Cato to explain.

"Do you know... Exactly... Where we are? In the arena?" Cato whispers.

Lucas and I shake our heads.

"We're less than a mile from the very edge." Cato tells us.

I am still confused, and can see it in Lucas's face as well. "Isn't it like... Electric though? So no one escapes?" Lucas asks.

Cato nods.

"Then... I don't see what you're getting at here," I say.

I can tell he wants us to keep guessing, that he is having fun with this. "Elias is from District Five." He tells us.

"So?" Lucas asks.

Cato sighs quietly, as we are all still barely talking. "What do they do there?"

"Power." I mutter, a light going on in my head. Cato can tell. "But... How? There's somewhere to turn it off- in the Arena?" I ask.

Cato nods. "I don't really know why, but there is one. I just hope she's paid attention when they were teaching them all their future jobs... I'm not sure if it will work. They could kill her as soon as she gets close. But I have this feeling that they'll let her shut it down."

"Why would they do that?" Lucas asks.

"To get a better show." I answer, knowing it's the truth as soon as I say it.

Cato nods. "I hope you can both run fast."

Lucas laughs. "We don't have much of a choice, do we?"

Cato smiles. "Nope. Not at all. This is life or death, man. And it isn't going to be easy outside of this Arena either. I hope you're ready for it."

"We'll have to be." I sigh.

Cato nods. "Now, pack everything up. We're going to head parallel to the closest force field- the thing keeping us all in the Arena. We can't head straight towards it until the powers down. Otherwise things could get tricky... More than they already are and will be."

Lucas and I nod, understanding, and we break out of our little huddle.

We pack up, shoving what we can in the two bags we have and leaving the rest behind. Afterwards, Lucas and I start heading the way Cato leads. We're walking slowly, with Lucas running ahead every now and then- I'm sure he's excited he finally has something to look forward to.

Sooner than I would have expected, we all hear a loud buzzing kind of noise, and Cato grabs my hand, pulling me along with him as he starts to run towards the boundary. I grab Lucas's wrist, dragging him along.

We all let go of each other as the Gamemakers begin to show us their tricks.