Chapter 13: I Owe You My Life

Chapter 13- I Owe You My Life

*Xavier's P.O.V*

I had just watched my sister, the person that has always and will always be the only one that could ever figure out how I ticked, almost die. I saw it, and I would have bet everything that she would have died right then and there because of that boy.

But then another had saved her life.

It had happened in an instant- one moment we were all on the edge of our seats, the next Marco and Trevor were screaming bloody murder, and for the first time in years tears pricked my eyes. Then he'd saved her, and ran off again. Cato. I remembered his name, and will never forget it. The boy who I thought my sister would have trouble with, whom I'd come to accept could kill her in an instant, had saved her life-in a Game where one life meant the death of twenty-three others. In my mind, I owed Cato my life.

I left the house after that, after watching Alex run away into the woods with that stupid bow and backpack slung across her back. I wander the woods now; the path we used to walk together, now only carried me.

I walk a lonely road

The only one that I have ever known

Don't know where it goes

But It's home to me and I walk alone

I walk this empty street

On the boulevard of broken dreams

When the city sleeps

And I'm the only one and I walk alone

I walk alone

I walk alone

I walk alone

I walk a...

My shadow's the only one that walks beside me

My shallow heart's the only thing that's beating

Sometimes I wish someone out there will find me

Till then I walk alone

I'm walking down the line

That divides me somewhere in my mind

On the borderline of the edge

And where I walk alone

Read between the lines

What's f**ked up and every thing's all right

Check my vital signs to know I'm still alive

And I walk alone

I walk alone

I walk alone

I walk alone

I walk a...

My shadow's the only one that walks beside me

My shallow heart's the only thing that's beating

Sometimes I wish someone out there will find me

Till then I walk alone

I walk alone

I walk a...

I walk this empty street

On the boulevard of broken dreams

When the city sleeps

And I'm the only one and I walk a...

My shadow's the only one that walks beside me

My shallow heart's the only thing that's beating

Sometimes I wish someone out there will find me

Till then I walk alone...

***********************************

*Alexandra's P.O.V*

I lean against a tree, taking deep breath. I had just run a good two miles at the least, and I figure resting now would be alright. I lean my bow against the tree, and take the quiver of arrows off my back and lay it beside the bow. I unzip the backpack to find a canteen for water, along with a small bottle of iodine for purifying it, a small pack of crackers, about a yard of an inch-thick rope, and a thermal sleeping bag. I dig around some more, and actually find a small pocket knife. Won't do very well for killing someone, but skinning and gutting a squirrel? Heck yeah.

I open the canteen to find it a quarter of the way filled with water. I take a sip, not wanting to drink it all in case it takes me a while to find a stream where I can fill it up.

The sky is beginning to darken, so I look around to find a tree to sleep in for the night. I wander for a bit before finding one that I was able to climb, but that wasn't so easy to climb as that anyone could. I scale it with a little trouble, and settle in a nook for the night. I place the bow and arrows in a small alcove slightly above me, and I wiggle into my sleeping bad. I shove my backpack to the bottom of the bag, and take of my belt, tying it around myself and the limb of the trunk I was resting on. Better to be hanging upside down then dropping 50 feet to the ground.

There are actually stars in the sky tonight, as if the Capitol is trying to be funny. Such a beautiful sight for such a horrific event. I lay there, staring up at them, thinking about how I should be dead right now. If it wasn't for Cato, I would be, I think to myself. Well, if there was any question before hand, I guess it was answered now. No one goes around saving lives in the Games- you go around ending them. After that little event earlier today, Cato practically yelled to all of Panem that I am the girl he's in love with, and I still am not sure how I feel about it.

Of course I like Cato... More and more each day. But in a Game like this... In world like this, it could never work. If the Games weren't in our way, the Districts were. But the Games are in our way, and one of us isn't leaving here alive. Why he just didn't let that boy from district four kill me then and there, I don't know.

My thoughts are interrupted by the Capitol seal shining in the sky, and the anthem blaring. This happens every night, letting all the remaining tributes know who is dead, and therefore, who is left to kill. Thirteen people died today- the girl from 1, both from three, the boy from four, the boy from five, the girl from six, the girl from seven, both from eight and nine, the boy from ten, and finally Camryn's face lights up the screen before the seal is shown again, and it goes dark once more.

I think of all the death that has occurred around me today and my mind wanders again to Cato. I think of how he must have some sort of plan, or a beginning of one, and I find myself hoping it's a good one. I know I'm in deep with him- I owe him my life.

*******************************

*Panem's P.O.V.*

"What an exciting day!" Caesar Flickerman's voice calls out to everyone in Panem, who are tuned in to the Games. "We are halfway through the tributes, and we learned what had to have been on everyone's mind after those interviews- who Cato believes is his one true love! Our dear, sweet Cato saved the life of Miss Alexandra Cade, of District 11! Yes, saved her life, everyone! Saved it! Well, now the mystery is solved, but it's too bad this story doesn't have a happy ending, isn't it?"

And with that, two cameras in the arena split the screen, one half filled with Cato's face, the other with Alexandra's.