Chapter 6: A Look

Chapter 6- A Look

"Snow doesn't look well on me." Ryder remarks.

"Are you kidding? You could be the ugliest person in Panem and that suit would still look amazing." I tell him.

"You make that dress look amazing." Ryder says suddenly. "They'll all be looking at you, not me. Why'd they even bother trying to make me match up?"

I blink a few times in surprise. "Excuse me?"

"You heard me." Ryder says, stepping onto the chariot. He offers me his hand. I ignore it, stepping on by myself. Where the hell had that come from? I hadn't spoken to Ryder once in my whole life. He had to be kidding.

"Just remember," Darien speaks up, "to make sure the dress is moving- and Ryder, keep turning and waving so yours works too."

"Will do." Ryder speaks for the both of us, as the chariot started to pull away. I look behind me once more, only to catch Darien making a motion I can't understand. Ryder sees my face, and turns to look at him. Then he smirks.

"They want us to hold hands."

"Whatever! No thank you." I shake my head.

"Come on. It won't kill you- Harry said to listen to them. You gonna stop now?"

I groan and roll my eyes, but grab Ryder's hand. I swear his hand is ten times bigger than mine.

The chariot lurches forward, and the crowd's cheering grows ever louder. I feel the dress whip back behind me, and realize the tiniest movement makes the clothes do their stuff. Between Ryder and me, we probably look like we are in a blizzard, trees lurking in every corner.

If it is possible, I think the crowd grows even louder when they see us. After a moment of wonder, I hear shouts and chants of "District Eleven!" Every soul in that room has their eyes trained on us, completely ignoring the chariots ahead of us. I feel so nervous with everyone staring at me, I think I'm going to be sick. Before I can decide, I look up to see the ginormous television screen in front of us, and it takes my breath away. We both look stunning, with the bright stark of shining white in the dusk of nightfall. The minimal makeup makes us both look more attractable, yet completely recognizable.

And totally unforgettable.

A smile breaks across my face then, and I wave with the hand that isn't clutched to Ryder's for dear life. Ryder has the idea to raise our linked hands for everyone to see, and somehow I know not to stop him. The crowd would love it. As I become more relaxed, I actually blow some kisses to the crowd. I know all the cameras are trained on us, possibly flicking away to the others just because they have to. I know the look that is on Xavier's face right now. He hasn't seen this side of me- the side that would actually blow kisses to people- in a long time. The thought makes me laugh, and I continue to blow my kisses, watching in amazement as people in the crowd actually pretend to catch them, as if they are a real thing.

"Alexandra! Alexandra!" I can hear my name being called from everywhere, and I don't know where to look. I like the way they don't call me Alex or anything. Only a few people can get away with that- I prefer Alexandra, and everyone knows it.

It's not until we reach the City Circle that I remember I'm squeezing the life out of Ryder's hand, and I try and loosen my grip. "No, don't let go." Ryder tells me, and even though I try to anyway, he says, "Come on, Alex. The crowd is still watching."

"Don't call me Alex." I tell him, though I grudgingly still let him hold my hand. I don't know what he has in his mind. Soon we would be locked in arena to kill each other. None of it made sense.