Chapter 22: District 11

We run. I can sit here and describe it all, but nothing eventful happened. We just ran. 

All three of us were a bit soaked by the time we stopped, doubling over to catch our breath. A mix of sweat and water feels permanently stained on my clothes, as we ran through streams as much as possible. Anything to get them off our scent.

Cato is the first to speak. "Everyone okay?"

Ryder and I nod. I hold my breath and listen closely. The boys are still breathing a bit heavily, but after running for miles I can't blame them. Everything else seems in place.

"We should keep walking," I sigh.

We aren't in a hurry, so its a pretty slow pace. I look up and through the thinner trees, a nagging sense of deja vu attacking me. A part of me wants to question if what I am thinking could be true, and I look to Ryder, but I see he's looking around with a look that says he wasn't feeling the same as I am. I'm slightly disappointed, but know I was fooling myself into thinking it anyway.

*** Xavier's P.O.V. ***

I was happy Alex escaped from the area. Thrilled didn't begin to describe it... The day after she escaped had been the best since her name had been drawn.

Then they showed up.

I can't say I didn't see it coming. But I could hope. People from the Capitol decided our home was big enough- yeah, right- for two of them to move on in apparently, and two more showed up each morning so they could all guard our home. Guard isn't the right word... Invade fits better. 

Their goal, as they put it, was to take Alex back to the Capitol for a bit, talk to her "and things like that". They left it so vague, it pissed me off the way they lied. If they just wanted to "talk", they wouldn't camp out at my house. They wouldn't carry weapons. They wouldn't debate behind our backs about whether killing her right away or trying to kidnap her was best if she came around. I still don't think they have a plan for all the possibilities. Like whether Cato and Ryder were with her. 

I found it funny, the way they questioned it. Most of them thought that if anything, it would just be her and Ryder. I wondered just how stupid they were. Just because I'm her twin doesn't mean I'm the only one who can see how inseparable her and Cato had become. 

I shake my head and look around. Guards were at the doors, becoming more lazy as the days went on. Doesn't mean they wouldn't see me slip into the woods.

I sigh, aggravated. Marco has been waking up in tears, not only from nightmares about Alex, but now from pure hunger. The Capitol starves the people in most of the lower Districts, and we are having to live more like everyone else now. Marco isn't used to being so hungry all the time. It's been taking every ounce of my willpower not to slash all those guards necks.

I start walking towards town, Marco in tow. We have all been working our expected hours in our areas, but Trevor and I have been putting in as many extra hours as possible. They don't give much for extra work, hardly any really, but we have to try, even just to feel like we were doing what we could. I told Trevor we would work extra on separate days, always making sure Marco has someone to watch him at home.

District 11 is pretty quiet. Aside from little little kids messing around, it was always silent enough so you could hear the hum of the electric fence. No one knows that part of the fence near our house was dead. They don't know it doesn't reach the ground, either. The more I think, the more reasons I get each and every day that the guards around our house are seriously incompetent.

I shake my head. I'm tired of thinking. Just gets me mad. 

"Hey, Xavier?" Marco pipes up.

"Yeah?" 

"Will they ever go away? What if she didn't show up for a long time. Will they leave after a while?" He questions.

"I dunno little buddy. I know you miss her, but maybe its just better for her not to come back... Even though I want to see Alex as bad as you do." Even more than you do... I add to myself.

Marco looks back down, kicking pebbles as we walk.

I start wishing twins really had telepathy. Still, I find myself thinking, "Where are you, Alex? We need you."

*** Alexandra's P.O.V. ***

"Okay this is really getting to me." I break into Cato and Ryder's pointless small talk.

"What?" Cato asks, looking around.

"This..." I wave my arms around, "I know my own woods... If I don't, may a wild animal attack and kill me. Cause I don't want to live in a world that has changed me that much."

Cato chews on his lip, considering it. "I'm not going to say it isn't possible... But highly unlikely is right up there... Ryder?"

Ryder shrugs. "I didn't live near the woods. Most I saw of them was through that damn fence that has left a permanent buzz in my ears- and I hear it everywhere, so don't bother asking if I do now."

I squint, spinning in a slow circle. "If we could just go that way a little bit... A mile or so. If we come up on nothing, I'll drop the subject."

Cato tries thinking of reasons why we shouldn't, and opens his mouth. "If we do though... You don't think there will be guards on the lookout for us?"

I nod. "Oh I know there will be. I would be if I were them. I don't want to enter just yet... Just see if I'm right."

"'Just yet'?" Ryder and Cato speak unanimously, and I cringe slightly.

"Well.... My family is in there! I just... I... I don't know. Just humor me for a bit? We don't even know if we are in District 11's woods. Let's not crush all my dreams at once..." I defend myself, hating how pathetic I sound.

Cato closes the distance between us and gives me a tight squeeze, as I see Ryder looking away. "Princess, are you ever wrong when it comes to this stuff?" He smirks a little.

I straighten up. "I know I'm not wrong. These are my woods. My home. My lovely escape. And my family needs me."