Chapter 18: A Plan to Change Us All

Chapter 18- A Plan to Change Us All

We take turns taking watch that night. I don't expect anything to happen, but we can't be too careful. I volunteer to take first watch. We are a sight to see- Cato is leaned against a tree, my head against his chest, his arm around me, head slightly resting on top of mine. Lucas has his head lying in my lap, and I stroke his hair, watching as his tensed muscles relax as he drifts off to sleep. I have a lot of time to think, but nothing pleasant to think about. I start thinking about our escape, not really about the how, but the after. I have no idea what we are to do if- when, I tell myself, think positive- we get out of this awful place. Nowhere in Panem would be safe.

My mind goes to home, and how the chances of seeing my brothers and Father again were slim to nothing. Not if I wanted to keep them safe. No doubt, they will question them, and check in often to see if any word of me has come up. I don't want to give them anything to have to lie about. It will be safer if they know nothing.

I twist Xavier's ring around my finger, and continue to keep watch, my mind filled with Cato, home, and escape.

I end up keeping watch longer than planned, and only when I feel my eyes getting heavy, and don't want to change it, do I gently shake Cato awake, and flinch when his eyes flicker open, instantly alert. He nods, telling me I can go to sleep now, and I start to wonder if he had always been that alert when waking up, if it was something he had trained for before entering the Arena, or if it was something else the Games had done to him.

* * * * * *

I wake up to what looks like Cato trying to move without waking me up. I lean up and off him quickly, letting him escape.

"I didn't want to wake you. Sorry," Cato says.

"I'm a light sleeper. Don't blame yourself." I tell him.

Cato looks around. "I don't think things are going to be the same after today, Angel."

I don't want to say I agree. "How do you figure?"

He shakes his head. "Can you not... Feel it?"

I sigh, and reluctantly nod. "Something is going to happen... I won't be surprised if there is more than one death today."

Determination shines in Cato's eyes. "Let's make sure it isn't one of us, hmm?"

I smile a little. "That would be nice."

Cato gives a hard laugh. "Nice? In the Games? Don't be silly love."

I bite my lip. "Cato..."

He tilts his head. "Yes?"

I shake my head. "What... Is this?"

He catches on quickly. "I... Am not sure yet. That is up to you." He holds out his hand. "Should we go catch some breakfast?"

I look at his hand, and down to Lucas asleep in my lap. I gently lift his head off and lie it down on the sleeping bag he is curled up in. "We? You mean me?"

Cato looks taken aback. "I can hunt, thank you very much!"

I scoff. "Prove it!"

"First one with two kills wins." Cato challenges.

"Too easy." I accept.

I grab his hand, and snatch up my bow and quiver of arrows. I head off in one direction while Cato stalks off in another.

"Don't stray too far," Cato calls to me.

"Worry about yourself," I tell him. I can practically hear him smiling.