Chapter 13 : roses and sunflowers

"sunflowers" Connor said shaking his head.

"Have you ever seen a rose!?" Evan argued.

"Roses are so overrated" Connor shrugged him off.

"You're kidding me, right?" Evan asked licking the melted chocolate off his fingers.

"Sure, roses smell great and look pretty but sunflowers are pure"

"Pure?" Evan raised an eyebrow. Connor's eyes were set on the city sprawled in front of them, like a child filled with wonder and amazement.

"Connor?" Evan whispered like he didn't wanna disturb him. He lightly nudged him "you okay?"

"Sorry, I spaced out" Connor shook his head as his hands reached up to his face, wiping.

"Are you crying?" Evan asked as softly as he could.

"I'm not" Connor replied even though his voice was a dead giveaway.

"Connor" Evan said once again.

"It's nothing" Connor replied wiping his eyes on his shirt "it's just that this spot, my older sister used to get me here when we were younger and when our parents were fighting"

"Yeah?"

"And we'd sit on the hood of her car and she'd say how much she hated roses and how they were overrated. She'd always say that if I ever had to pick any flower, it had to be a sunflower"

"Connor. . ."

"She's gone now. She left when she was twenty one, I was fifteen at that time and I haven't seen her since. I don't even know if she's. . . If she's alive"

"Hey, I'm sure she's still out there and she thinks about you too" Evan said as he squeezed Connor's hand. Connor let Evan lace their fingers together as they both sat there in silence for a while and Evan couldn't help but notice how perfectly their hands fit together.

Connor nodded as he jumped off the hood, wiped his eyes once again and then looked up at Evan "wanna get home now? It's pretty late. Don't want coyotes eating us right!?"

"Definitely don't want that" Evan laughed as they both cleaned up the food wrappers and coffee cups.

They both drove back home talking about random things from here and there and singing along to the radio. And when they reached Evan's, he got out of the car and bent down to come to level with the window.

"What was her name?"

"Rose"

"I'm sorry, I have to ask, is your sister really named Rose Waters!?" Evan snorted.

"Oh fuck off" Connor laughed pushing Evan's head out of the window.