Growing up

Lights show no sign of approach. The sun taking too long to rise. The dark shadows of the tall trees swallowing her presence. The foreign voices warning her to go back, that she was not strong enough . She dipped into her pocket, and torched the candle. That was all we could see from afar, a spark of light tiny enough to never light the night sky but strong enough to light up her world.
She is a standup comic , making the whole world laugh at her jokes.Her words made me feel sad, not for her but us, Humanity in general. Bullying people is sad, existence of Islamophobia is sad, that we believe in beauty standards is sad, that with war comes nothing but destruction and no one understanding that is sad, that no matter how loud you be with great words they never bring the 'big change' is sad.
But you know what's not sad? that she was told that there is nothing she could not do and she believed in it. The fact the she always fought and made it count. No matter who sad what she went on. She has probably cried nights to become what's normal for the world. It was a very long walk only to see herself standup with cerebral palsy but she made it and it's just the start.
I am not sad for her. She empowered me, to add more flames to the fire in me! She empowered me to try harder. That, all it takes to get what you want is believing in your self and working for it. That no matter how long it takes you will get your light. That it is better to light your candle than curse the darkness around you.