Chapter 3

Guardian's P.O.V:

You froze up after you heard that comment. How did they know? They couldn't have known unless... you look down and notice that your cloak had been dislodged so your neck could heal better. You panicked and tightened it to its original place... you didn't know how to answer Ikora's question... you couldn't answer- so you didn't.

"Hey kid? Are you okay? You're looking rather pale." Cayde asked, concern laced his voice and your sure that if he had movable face plates, concern would also be written over his face. You shook your head no and slowly backed up until you got a good distance between yourself and everyone, and doing what all hunters do best, you left in a blur- sprinting off and scaling up the rest of the barn onto the semi-stable roof.

"Breath Echo... your safe... you don't have to tell them."  Your ghost 'whispered' to you, which was more of a low hum but was needed either way. You took a couple of deep and steady breaths and calmed down, slowing your racing heart as well as your racing head. A low yet dull ache took over the frontal lobe of your skull, so you laid down against the partially cool metal in attempt to soothe it. How could you be so stupid as to move your cape?! If you hadn't of moved it- yes it would've taken a bit longer to heal, but it was better than showing of your scar.

As your breathing and heartbeat finally returned to its resting rate, as well as the dull ache in your head finally residing- you had no idea how much time has past, but you estimated an hour or so seeing as the sun was setting and the winter chill was starting to set in. As you sat up, you looked around and noticed the constellations dotting the sky.

"The one you're looking at is Orion's Belt. I taught you this one the first night of me finding you." North stated, following your gaze and looking at the stars too. You remember that night despite it being a decade or so ago, you were so confused; so scared on what was happening- so you turned to the sky, a calm feeling had settled over you as you watched the stars flicker here and there. You smiled at the memory, your smile staying on your face as North kept stating different constellations and star names.

"That star there is Vega... then Capella... then Sirius."  North finishes off, floating above your shoulder and letting out gentle hums as you relaxed into a criss-cross pattern, taking in a deep breath before releasing it; watching it as turned into a white mist before dissipating. Then a noise caught your attention- this caused you to tense up, hand resting near your knife. You crouch into a low position watching the area where the noise came from... but a chickens head popped up, confusing you as you looked around. 'How on Earth did this chicken get up here?'  All of a sudden, Cayde's head also popped up next to it. 'That's how.'  You relax completely and sit back down, patting the spot next to you so Cayde knew it was fine to sit down.

As Cayde came over and sat down, the chicken when straight into your lap settling down and sleeping.

"Huh, looks like Colonel likes ya kid." Cayde said, leaning back into his hands. You looked back and forth at Colonel and Cayde, before smiling and resting a hand on Colonels' back. You were both quiet for some time until Cayde spoke up in a quiet voice.

"Guardian, if you don't mind me asking. But what is with the scar on your neck." He looked towards you as he said that, but quickly started to panic after he saw your scared face. "You don't have to of course. I'm not going to force personal information out of you! What kind of Vanguard would I be then! Please stop looking so scared... I'm sorry..." He pleaded, an almost hurt tone laced his voice. You sighed and gave him a re-assuring smile before looking at North and muttering a hushed 'show him the footage.'

"Cayde, what I'm about show you, you cannot tell anyone else. No-one knows of this, but Echo is trusting you so please don't break it."  North said as they tilted upwards, Cayde looked extremely confused before looking at the screen.

"Showing video footage 654.
Date: 25/03/2789 (I have no idea when the Destiny timeline is set, if someone does, let me know in the comments or my inbox)
Location: Nessus
Playing clip.

"Hey North! Look! Bet I can climb that tree?"

"Echo... please be careful."  Echo smiles as he ran towards the tree, North following behind. Echo stopped in front of the tree and admired its size.

"North, what's the percentage of damage that will occur if I were to fall?"

"The rate of damage will increase every three/four percent for every ten feet you climb, so please... ECHO MOVE!"  Gunshots could be heard and screeches from Thralls echoed around the tree.

"Bastards! I was looking forward to climbing. North, hide!"

Static transmission... some video footage deleted...
Playing remaining clip.

"Guardian?! ECHO?! Oh Traveller... where are you?"  North's voice was frantic, panic setting in.

"No-Nor..."

"ECHO! Where are you?!"
Co-ordinates sent, retrieving data
"ECHO! Oh Traveller... I'm sorry... I'm sorry."  There laid Echo on the ground, beaten and bloody, hands wrapped around their neck attempting to stop the bleeding while the light healed his wound the best it could. Gasping sounds could be heard as Echos' wounds healed shut... but they didn't heal correctly.

Video ended.
Video started: footage 659
Date: 27/03/2789
Location: Home, EDZ
Playing footage.

"Echo? How's your voice?"

"Hoarse, scratchy... sore." Echo replied, resting a hand on his throat- a sad look shown in his eyes. "I... don't want...... to speak any more."

"That's fine Echo. That's fine."

End of footage"

Cayde didn't know how to respond to the video footage. He looked at you as you gave him a sad smile. You turned back to look at the stars as tears gathered in your eyes; you'll always remember that day. That was the day you hid your Ghost so the Hive wouldn't destroy North, that was the day they marked you as 'fighter'; that was the day you lost your voice; that was the day you lost your reason to be Echo- to be a human.

You hadn't realised that you were crying until you felt Cayde pull you in for a hug, arms wrapped tight around you as you cried, placing your head in the crook of his neck. The tears weren't stopping anytime soon, but you were glad that you had someone to hug. You smiled as you cried... you hadn't cried like this since the incident... it felt nice to cry again.