Chapter 6: Promise Day

The clock ticked 4 in morning when Sanyukta got a call from her clinic. Saumya, Sanyukta's assistant's call broke her slumber. 'Yes Saumya' Sanyukta asked as she picked the call. 'Ma'am, there's an emergency. I got a call from Mr. Darnell Crawford. They are on the way. I left my place ten minutes back' Saumya informed. 'Okay. I'll be there.' Sanyukta assured Saumya and disconnected the call.

Sanyukta pull off her duvet and got off her bed. She hurried brushed her teeth, washed her face with her medicated face wash and took only-water bathe. Sanyukta quickly dialled Saumya's number. 'Hey Saumya. Could you please call Mr. Crawford and inform him to re-route to Bridge Candy Hospital? I'm on the way to hospital. You too come there.' Sanyukta spoke to Saumya. 'Yes, ma'am. Sure. Will do it' Saumya responded. Sanyukta hurriedly locked the door of the apartment.

She settled on the driver seat of Hyundai Eon. She initiated motor engine using keys and drove to Bridge Candy Hospital. As soon as she stepped out of car after turning off the engine, Sanyukta locked her car and cursed herself 'Shit man. I forgot to put note of refrigerator door for Adhir. Dam it, Sanyukta. Now your son will be worried about your whereabouts' Sanyukta's chain of thoughts was broke by Saumya who came towards her, spoke 'Ma'am, Mr. Crawford is waiting for you. Please hurry.'

Before Sanyukta could come with a solution, Saumya took her belongings and dragged Sanyukta in the hospital. The ward boys and nurses asked Mrs. Abigail Crawford to lay on the stretcher. With 9 month old heavy baby bump and of course, with help of Darnell, Abigail climbed on the stretcher and laid on her back. She was breathing heavily with her eyes closed. 'Fifth floor Operation Theatre 3' Sanyukta along with Saumya entered Staff elevator. Mr Darnell Crawford followed them. The nurses and wardboy took Abigail to the operation theatre.

A biological clock woke Adhir. He searched for mother in the house. He couldn't find Sanyukta in the house. If there's an emergency, Mumma always puts a note somewhere to inform me, Adhir thought. He then looked for the note in the house. Adhir got tensed when he didn't find the news.

He walks towards the temple in the house and folds his palms together with closed eyes.

'Dear God. I'm so worried. My mumma isn't at home neither did she placed a note anywhere for me. I don't know whether I should go to school or search my mother. I don't want to lose her like my father, who left one day and never came back to us. I love my mother more than my life. Please guide me, God jee' Adhir prayed.

'Let's go out and find your mother' Adhir's heart echoed.

'Stop making stupid decisions. We are too small to find your mother in this massive city.' Adhir's brain warned his heart.

'You are smartest organ in the body. We'll find a way' Adhir's heart answered.

An adamant Adhir was convinced to find his mother. So, he bunked the school to find his mother. Adhir quickly took a bath and wore a solid orange colored tee and denims. He took some money from his piggy bank and placed in his denims pocket. He looked at red roses and white lilies placed in a vase which he brought on Rose Day and recollected of stranger.

Since Adhir didn't find keys, Adhir closed the door with the bang. It must be Adhir going to school, Supriya (Sanyukta's neighbor) assumed as she closed the door a minute ago after taking the milk pocket placed by a milkman.

Adhir took auto rickshaw (3 wheeler 4 seater van used for commutation) and directed him towards Sanyukta's clinic. Sanyukta's clinic was twenty minutes away from the place where she resides. Adhir reached the clinic nad paid to the driver. That auto rickshaw left the place. When Adhir walked towards the clinic, he noticed the clinic was closed.

God, where's my mother? How can I find her, Adhir is worried as he thought. There were no vehicles passing by in the lane. So, our poor soul - Adhir decided to walk.

It's fifteen minutes to noon. Sanyukta completed formality after Mrs. Mrs. Abigail Crawford delivered a baby boy named Matthias Crawford. On her way back home, Sanyukta recollected how Darnell explained the meaning of Matthias as a gift of Lord.

When Sanyukta unlocked the door of house, she found it empty and later realized Adhir is at school. She took bath and went to sleep. She woke up around three in noon. She quickly made omelette for her lunch. Around 3.45, Sanyukta left for her clinic as she had appointments.

There, in some unknown lane of city, far off his house and mother, Adhir fell off unconscious on the road. A biker rode his bike restlessly to reach his destination in a hurry. He almost rode over motionless Adhir on the road.

 He almost rode over motionless Adhir on the road