Chapter 2: Rose Day

'Rashi, where's Adhir?' Sanyukta asked Rashi about her son's whereabouts when school bus halted at the main gate of complex.

'Auntie, Shlok and Adhir didn't board the bus. They took auto rickshaw (3 wheeler 4 seater van used for commutation) instead.' Sanyukta got a panic attack when she learnt about her son commuting in public transport. Her heart raced at the speed of bullet train. The sweat beads of worrisome traced her forehead followed by her cheeks.

Visualizing worst scenarios in her head, Sanyukta headed towards her apartment. She decided to call off all her schedules appointment of day and postpone the same for next morning.

How can a mother relax when her kid decides to perform a deadly stunt? Mother definitely can control her child but can be brutal, even if she/he does mischievous. All she can do is worry and pray for their wellbeing. Sanyukta's case is so similar.

Unlocking the door, Sanyukta sat on the couch and buried her face between her palms. Before she could sob, Sanyukta heard soft giggles originating from Adhir's room.

Before she could open her baby boy's room, Sanyukta looked at her room. A conical silver foil lying on her bed. She wide opened the door of her room and walked towards her bed.

Sanyukta found a bunch of red roses and white lilies whose stems are wrapped with silver foil thereby forming conical shape. Sanyukta let the fragrance of rose trickle her senses to memories having Randhir's presence. Sanyukta revived the time when Randhir gifted her bouquet of roses in lecture hall front of everyone. A lone tear escaped her eyes.

Adhir saw his mom back facing him. Adhir ran towards her and hugged her from back. Adhir turned his head to left side and rest his face and head on Sanyukta's lower back. Adhir's actions brought Sanyukta to reality.

'Adhir. How could you? I have warned you so many times not to use public transportation. You know about consequence. Still, you perform terrifying stunts.' Sanyukta scolded Adhir.

Adhir quickly pulled his ears with his fingers. 'Sorry mumma.' Adhir apologized. Placing small bunch of red roses and white lilies back on the bed, Sanyukta kneels on the marble floor to match Adhir's level.

Before Sanyukta could explain her concerns again, Adhir kissed on her cheeks and wished 'Happy rose day, mommy! See. I got flowers for it.' Adhir pointed his fingers in the direction where bunch of flowers were placed.

Sanyukta took Adhir in her embrace. She kissed his forehead later. 'You don't have do this, baby. But tell me, how did you pay for it?' Mumma wondered. 'I have my savings' Adhir laughed, placing his right palm over mouth.

Sanyukta walked towards kitchen to microwave lunch. Adhir jumped on the chair taking his seat.

Sanyukta was oblivious of the fact, it's not Adhir who brought bunch of roses for her.