The Scaled Woman

•Y/N: Your Name
•F/N: Father's Name

————————————————
Author's POV:
________________________________

————————————————Author's POV:________________________________

________________________________

Y/N, now finished with her lunch, lounges under the sun, waiting for Neil to return with the shells he was sent out to get. Everything was calm from the wind to the waves until a figure pops out of the water, creating a loud splash and giving her a start. Peering over the side of the boat, she's met with Neil's wide-set eyes the color of charcoal. He chirps and swims closer as the woman gives him a smile while reaching out her hand to cup his cheek, noting his empty hands.

"No luck with the shells, eh?" He coos and lowers himself where the water goes up to his eyes, as if he was ashamed of not being able to find her any pretty gifts, nearly forgetting the nuisance lurking beneath his tail. Mesmerized, the mermaid watches with a tilted head as it sways to keep him upright. She didn't even take notice of the boat or the human holding his attention. She was too entranced by his movements and the glow of his scales reacting strongly to her pheromones. "Oh, that's all right. I'm sure you'll be able to find some later." Y/N's eyes light up in awe as she lets out a gasp when his tail flicks in the water, giving her a glimpse of the bright shine of blue to his scales. "Oh, wow, Neil, you're glowing!" Y/N had never seen them so bright, even when under the sun, and seeing them like this now was surprising, especially since they had gotten dull from his depression.

'Did he just heal so fast? No, this is something new.' She didn't know what to make of it, but her thoughts were drawn away after spotting a shadow floating underneath Neil. Curious, she leans further over the edge of the boat for a better look only for a webbed hand to come in contact with her face and push her back.

"Y/N, stay!" orders the fish-man in a pleading voice, not liking how stubborn the other woman is. He wants her to go away. His body jolts and his tail flicks in response to a number of sharp fingernails attached to long, dainty fingers traveling up his back. The touch sends a chill up his spine. Concerned about his frantic behavior, Y/N asks,

"Neil, what's wro—" Her breath catches in her throat when something emerges from behind the merman. A loving coo slips past their lips as their head, curtained by seaweed-green hair, rubs affectionately against the male's neck. The touch makes Neil growl and spin around in attempts at prying off her claws, but she is persistent. "Is that a..."

When a black and green tail flaps on the surface of the water playfully, her suspicions are confirmed. It's a mermaid. The creature has similar features to her aquatic companion, only she is smaller with different colored scales and a more feminine, pointed face. Her body is thin and lithe, chest as flat and muscular as Neil's with strong arms to match. The human giggles as she watches them interact.

"Did you find a friend down there?" Clicking her tongue, the female rubs up against Neil's chest, causing his scales to brighten in color more as she scents him. "Oh, maybe more than a friend?" She teases, alerting the merman, who's sent into a panic. He couldn't be seen like this! He doesn't want this woman for his mate, he wants Y/N!

Y/N has been by his side; she knows everything about him; she's kind and loves playing with him. They shared the pain of losing F/N and grew closer from it. He'd be damned if he let his nature drop all logic to be with some fish he just met. Baring an enraged sneer, he manages to slip out of the mermaid's loving arms and flips around as she tries to capture him again. The clueless female found the game of chase so fun, while he was mortified.

Y/N might get the wrong idea with all this flirting, and he didn't want that. This was supposed to be their date, his chance to convince her to be his! Growling, he flaps his tail frantically as the mermaid wraps her arms around it while purring and rubbing her head along the sensitive underbelly. The sensation made him freeze up and his body warm as she ushered him to slip into heat. It was not the least bit welcomed.

Having had enough, Neil tosses her off with one swift motion before slapping her hard across the face with his tail. The mermaid is left stunned and reels back when he opens his mouth and gives a loud screech of anger in her face. When he stops, he pants with a scrunched nose and curled, upper lip until a gentle hand hesitantly pats the top of his head. His expression of hate fades as he whips his head around to look at the culprit, Y/N. She gives him a calming smile while petting his raven locks to ease his temper.

"It's okay, Neil. I'm sure she just doesn't understand. Settle down." Her words soothe him some, but his irritation rises again when the mermaid finally takes notice of the human in the boat. With curious eyes and a roll of the tongue, she swims closer, grabbing the side of the floatation device with her webbed claws and pulling herself up for a closer look. Shocked, Y/N leans back some in uncertainty as she comes face-to-face with the fish lady who sniffs her.

To the creature's surprise and delight, the woman greets her with the roll of her tongue, as she would with Neil, and smiles brightly. The mermaid flashes her sharp teeth in a matching grin. "My, you're so pretty," Y/N says, admiring the features of their face. Jealous of the attention she was getting, Neil huffs and dives under the water to rip her down by the tail, sticking his nails deep into her sides and forcing the female to release the boat. The human gasps and leans over the side of the boat in worry as their figures become nothing more than shadows in the depths of the sea.

Now alone with the stranger, Neil puffs his chest and screeches again, his gills frilling as he bares his teeth in a frightening manner, warning her to stay far away. Finally getting the message, the woman huffs, losing interest in the merman. Neil might be strong and handsome but is much too defensive for her tastes, so she moves on, retreating to the kelp forest from whence she came. He waits until she is out of sight before going back up to inform Y/N of the nuisance's leave. He surfaces with a smile on his face, meeting the human's concerned gaze.

"Gone," he states proudly while grasping the side of the boat the same way the mermaid had. Y/N sighs at him, shoulders slumping as she shakes her head.

"Oh, Neil. You didn't have to chase her off like that." She stares out into the horizon, still in disbelief from what she had found. She certainly didn't expect to come across another mercreature in her lifetime. Are there more out there? Will she ever see one again? "I know you were just being protective, but that was mean. She seemed to really like you." Neil puffs his cheeks in a huff before reaching out for her hand, which she gives to him without a second thought. The merman then sets her palm against his wet cheek, cooing softly.

"She wan mate. I wan you, oly you."