Domestication

•E/C: Eye Color

Your POV:

I stare at the water in fear as blood pools beneath the boat, making it even more difficult to watch the outcome of the battle going on in the deep. I'm scared of who the liquid belongs to. The mere thought of it being my friend made tears come to my eyes. I wanted to leave, since I don't want to end up eaten by the hungry shark, but I don't want to leave Neil behind. What if he's killed or injured? Could I possibly leave without knowing?

All I could hear were the crashing of waves and my heart pounding heavily in my chest. Soon, the water begins to ripple at the surface, meaning something is rising. I back away to the other end of the boat and bite my lower lip in fear only to breathe out in relief when Neil's head pops up before he releases a triumphant chirp. I run to the male, being careful not to step on any of the shells that line the floor, to check if he's all right. No marks from what I can see. I immediately engulf the creature in a tight hug, my body trembling with lingering anxiety.

"Thank god, you're all right!" Tears of joy stream down my cheeks, while the male remains tense in my hold. I must've surprised him, for he let out a confused coo. I was just so happy he survived. Almost losing him made me realize just how much he really means to me. I almost feel scared to leave him out here now, but he can obviously take care of himself. After all, he just went up against a full grown shark. I pull away and hold the male's face. In return, he places his hands over mine as he stares into my E/C orbs.

"You didn't want me to leave, did you? Is that why you pulled me in?"

Neil releases a faint purr before nodding his head once. I sigh softly and release his face before sitting on the bench seat in the boat. The merman holds onto the rim of the boat and watches me push back my wet hair. I wipe my eyes and think for a moment.

'Maybe I should keep him a bit longer? I'll try again another time.' A soft whimper catches my attention, causing me to turn my head towards the merman, and I find him reaching out towards my injured arm. The limb has long scratches that were left from his claws as well as some shallow cuts from the shells. I'm not bleeding too bad, but that must be what he's referring too.

"I-I'm fine, Neil." I cover the wounds with my hand to stop him from looking at it. I don't want him becoming wild over the sight of my blood, but he oddly seems more concerned than hungry. I force a smile on my lips as I meet his eyes. "Let's just go home, okay? We can come back another time."

The creature lets out a delighted chirp and swims around the boat, happy with the idea of going home to the cave. This makes me frown some.

'He has been with us a long time. Maybe he became domesticated? That'd explain why he doesn't want me to leave. Oh, well. I'm sure I'll figure something out.' I start the motor before setting off with Neil swimming alongside the boat. Thankfully, no one's really out here today, so sneaking the fish man back to the hideaway was a breeze.

I carry the creature into the house and down the stairs to reach his pool. It's difficult to hold him, since he's a lot bigger than me, not to mention heavy, but I manage. Neil held onto me by wrapping his arms around my neck and only lets go when I set him in the water. He swims a few laps around the pool before stopping by the ledge, where I stand, and giving a high pitch chirp with a smile. I softly smile back and remove my sandals before dipping my feet in the water.