Part 11

"No offense to the bard, but like. I really don't wanna go to rehearsal today." Your shoulders slump as you and Michael start walking towards the auditorium. He stops you.
"Let's just not go."
"And get murdered by Christine? I think not."
He has a look in his eye that can truly only be described as troublemaking.
"I'm serious. Let's ditch. We can go on our first date. Our first official one, anyways."
You think for a moment.
"Let's go. I've been wanting to try-" you spot Christine coming around the corner. "Shit, run!" You hiss.
The two of you dash across the hall and take a sharp turn, not stopping until you get out of the building. You'd once seen Christine chase Jeremy down the hallway when he forgot about Rich's birthday, and you did not want to be on the receiving end of that.
The two of you stop outside the front doors, panting. You sigh in relief.
"I was scared there for a sec. I honestly thought I was gonna turn around and she'd be behind us."
"I dunno what it is about Christine and missing rehearsals, but it freaks me out."
Michael takes your hand and you walk alongside him, heading to his car. His hand is warm, and a little dry, just enough to rub yours but be comfortable too. You snuggle yourself into his side. After getting in the car and buckling yourself up, (Michael bothered you until you put your seatbelt on) he starts driving. You sit in a comfortable silence for a while, you drawing smiley faces on his fogged up window as he taps the steering wheel to a tune while steering steadily.
"Isn't this like...technically illegal, since you're not of driving age yet?" You wonder aloud.
"Yeah." He responds.
"Oh. Ok."
There's a little more silence.
"Where are you taking me?"
"I'm about to change your life."
"Nerd."
"Oh, so you can quote Hamilton all the time and I can't? Rude. But to answer your question, we're headed to the mall." He pushes his sliding glasses up his face, just for you to take them off him and play with them. The car pauses at a stop light.
"Oooh, the mall. What're we gonna do there? Are you gonna take me on a romantic ride on the kiddie train?" You say with a kissy face, and he snorts.
"You wish, Y/N. I like to think we're heading somewhere better." He's got a smile on his face, and unable to resist, you reach over and give him a little peck on the cheek.
"Anywhere with you is fine."
He smiles again, revealing small dimples you hadn't noticed before.
The light turns green.

After a decently short car ride, the two of you arrive at the mall, crunching through the snow hand in hand. Although you guys already spend most of your time together, it feels special today, and both of you are having trouble containing just how giddy you are. You catch Michael trying to suppress a smile by covering his mouth with his free hand. You look away quickly, trying to hide how cute you think that just was.
Oh god. I really, really like him.
You follow him into the mall, just for him to go a route you don't usually take. One you'd never taken, actually.
He stops, and you look up.
What?
You find yourself looking at none other than the entrance to a small black room with a door at the end.
"Oh. You took me to a black room."
"You haven't heard of this place before, have you?"
You shake your head, and he smiles widely.
"This is none other than the famous Tardan arcade! It's suuuuuper exclusive. Only lets certain people in. Haven't you noticed that late at night, there's a lot of people in this area of the mall?"
"Wait wait wait. You're saying, that you managed to get us into an extremely exclusive and famous arcade, that only opens at night?"
"Yep." He smiles proudly.
"It's 3 in the afternoon. Also, I don't believe you."
"You really have such little faith in me? I'm hurt." He keeps smiling. You wait for an explanation. "Just follow me." He walks in, and you nervously trail behind him. He opens the door, to reveal...
A black curtain. And some bouncers.
When Mike steps forward, you expect them to stop him somehow, but they just watch the two of you go, as if this was a regular thing.
You step through the curtain.
Your jaw drops in shock.
The arcade is huge. The room lights are off, but the illuminated pathways and the flashing of the different arcade games more than make up for it. The room is totally empty, but you don't care.
Oh my god. This is a geek's dream.
You home in on a nearby Pac-Man game, and approach it in awe.
"No way. Is this one of the original Pac-Man arcade machines from 1980? Don't these cost like, thousands of dollars?" Nearby, you spot an ancient but cleanly preserved Galaga machine, and dash over to it. "Oh my god. Is this an original from 1981? Oh my god. I don't have words. I'm freaking out. I-"
You collapse on a nearby Dance Dance Revolution Machine (an original Japanese one from 1998- not really rare, but still expensive).
[A/N: You learned all this stuff from Michael. He's taught the reader quite a bit in his geeky rants]
Michael helps you up.
"I swear, you have never been cuter than you are right now." He leans in for a kiss, and you give it to him, passionately and excitedly. His hands instinctively run through your hair, and you rub circles on the back of his neck, his breath warm against your lips.
You quickly separate at the sound of a loud cough. You turn to see an average looking man with his eyebrows raised, waiting for you guys to finish. He smiles at Michael, as if seeing an old friend, then slaps him on the back.
"Nice to see you, kid. Haven't seen you and Jeremy here in weeks! I was starting to worry."
"Ah, no need, Mr. Johnson. We've just been busy with schoolwork and the play. If it were my choice, though? I'd be here all hours of the day." Michael says, smiling.
"I assume you've also been busy with your new girlfriend here," He turns to you, "Does he make enough time for you?" You nod, smiling and taking Michael's hand.
"Definitely."
Mr. Johnson chuckles and turns back to Michael.
"I like her. I heard her gushing about my machines from the other side of the arcade. You picked a smart one." He looks at you. "What's your name?"
"Oh! It's Y/N."
"Well, Y/N, feel free to go around and play whatever games you and Michael feel like. And you better not break his heart, or I'll come after you with the might of all my Pac-Man plushes." He gestures to a wall full of Pac-Man stuffies. You and Michael laugh.
"Will do."
"Have fun, you two!" He leaves you be.

The two of you dash around the arcade for a full hour, playing any games that sparked your interest, both in the retro and the modern section of the massive arcade. You watched him fail at Jumpin Jackpot, from tripping over his own foot, and he watched you fail miserably at skeeball. You both failed intensely playing DDR together, but when it came to the classic Namco games? Needless to say, you slaughtered them. You played some intense Galaga, getting number 3 on the high scores with Michael's guidance. Vice versa with Pac-Man. When you finish, the two of you slip into the seats of a table in the back. In the corner of your eye, you see Michael practically gazing at you.
"What?"
He sighs happily.
"I genuinely don't think I've ever met anyone as amazing as you before."
Your face goes red, but you smile wide.
"I could say the same for you."
He covers his face as he smiles, unable to maintain eye contact. Through his hands, you can see the colorful reflections of the games on his glasses, and the way they light up the rest of his face entrances you.
"I don't think there's any other place I'd rather be right now, Y/N." Michael says.
"....Yeah. Me neither."