CHAPTER TWENTY-NINE

Hard-working Woman

Hard-working Woman

We've found a way of living, here in Q-3. It's rather peaceful here. The W. N. doesn't bother anyone way out here. The crew sticks together, even when we're not onboard the Montgomery. Which I appreciate. I don't have to go too far searching for them when we have a job.

I've been getting delivery jobs. The Montgomery delivers supplies between the outer Quadrants. Mostly medical, sometimes consumables-slash-perishables. The jobs pay well and it keeps me on my toes. I've been able to give the crew more than I could afford before now. But Jordan's the only one who won't let me pay him.

"It's not a virus," I say, laughing in annoyance while trying to hand Jordan the envelope.

"I'm not letting you pay me," he says, stepping away with a huge grin. "Ry, I understand your intentions, but I'm can't accept that."

"If you don't accept the payment, we're going to have some serious problems."

I grumble and try putting the envelope in his hand. But he holds them up high, out of my reach.

"I'm not that much shorter," I scowl, grabbing his fist. "Jordan, please take it."

"Can't do that, babe. Keep it for a rainy day."

"It doesn't rain here!"

"Not the same kind of rain as Q-1, but yes! It rains!"

We're just yelling back and for now about the differences in weather between the different Quadrants. But I soon relent and shove the blasted envelope into one of my drawers.

"Fine," I say, crossing my arms. "But don't think this is over. I'm relenting because I know I'll get it to you eventually."

"My girlfriend is mighty and tough in front of other people," Jordan says, chuckling softly as he pulls me into his arms. "But when she's with me, all her walls come tumbling down."

"Is that good or bad?" I mumble into his chest.

"It's awesome," he whispers, his lips close to my ear. "Because you're yourself with me. You relax, you release. I see every version of you. From the very beginning, you let me in. And I'm grateful for that."

Jordan's words make me feel better. I still would prefer giving him something for all the work he does to keep us all alive while piloting the Montgomery. Because when a pilot sits at the helm, responsibility for everyone onboard sits on their shoulders. Jordan handles the ship really well. And so far, he's handling my heart with the same gentle care.

I tilt my head back and look into Jordan's eyes. There are a few words sitting on the tip of my tongue. I don't know if I should say them or not. Because it hasn't been that long. We may be letting things take course between us, but we're also taking it slow.

As if hearing my thoughts, Jordan smiles and asks, "Just how much do you care about me that you're willing to argue about me refusing a payment from you?"

"More than I did from the start," I reply, hugging his middle. "I started caring about what you think because we were having all those talks together. Which I enjoy so much."

"I know you do . . . And for the record, I do too."

"You do too what?"

"Love you."

***

The Vruer'ask skies are clear and calm. It's the reason why I've brought my brother with me in a pod. The rest of the crew are back on the Montgomery. I need him to be away from the other bubs so I can get my point across clearly. Hunter, McKenzie, and Bobby, all act like idiots when they get together. Trying to talk to them about something serious is impossible when they're together. They rarely stay serious while in the same room, unless it involves something they're actually serious about.

"So," Hunter says as I bring the space-pod to land in an orange forest; yes, it's orange. "Why are we out here, again?"

"We're out here because I want to know what you think of Jordan," I say, sighing.

"If he hurts you, I won't hesitate to make him suffer," he cracks his knuckles for effect.

"He's not like that," I roll my eyes, shoving him. "In fact, it might be the other way around. I might be the one doing the hurting."

"Good . . . What do I think of Jordan? I think he's got a smart head on his shoulders. I think he's a great pilot, knows the machinery better than anyone I've ever met. Present company not included."

"Wow, thanks."

"I meant me."

I smack Hunter's shoulder. Hard.

"Hey!" he complains, rubbing the sore spot. "Did you bring me to D'Mandoocry to actually make a man cry? It's emasculating!"

I laugh and eventually my brother joins in.

"Sis," Hunter says, resting a hand on my shoulder. "You're a hard working woman. You need a hard working man. Jordan's hard working and never ceases to amaze me at how quick he is to act when it comes to you and your commands. He's a perfect fit for you . . . And sorry to turn the subject to something else, but still it involves Jordan, right?"

"You found him?" I ask, covering my mouth as my skin becomes like gooseflesh.

"I've found him."