CHAPTER TWELVE

Something, Maybe Nothing

2105, Day 5

Lee finally tells me the ship is good to go. I'm wondering if the oil change was actually needed, but Lee hasn't given me a reason not to trust him with my ship's engine. Hunter, shockingly, is a certified medical doctor. I guess that solves that issue. Jake couldn't find anyone anyway.

"Any word from the outlaw?" I ask, entering the makeshift infirmary.

"I think we got him at a really good time," Hunter laughs, nodding as he turns towards me. "Both ladies were screaming at him in the background. Arguing with each other. They did know he was going to be with both of them, right?"

I laugh, because Bobby is a nutcase. He needs to get himself out of that one on his own. Not all women like that. I cringe.

"There you are."

I turn my head to see Jake standing next to me.

"Got a minute, boss?" he asks, winking.

I give him a look, but I follow him out. He leads me almost to the cabin, and then takes a sharp turn into my quarters.

"Hey!" I scold, "No one is allowed in here, but me."

"Not even me?" he says, towering over me. And I am by no means a short woman.

"Out of respect for me, you will leave my room," I say, crossing my arms. "I don't want anyone in here. Ever."

"Not even your boy-toy?"

"I don't have a boy-toy," I shove Jake until he moves out of my space. "Now. Get. Out. I happen to have one of my older brothers onboard now. I am not ashamed to get him involved."

"Boss," Jake's voice becomes soft and gentle as he stands in front me and places his hands on my shoulders. "Let's forget about everything except right now. We've found your brothers. Most of them, anyway. With this peace of mind, I want to ask you out."

I blink, left dumbfounded. What now?

***

Jake didn't flinch when I told him I'd think about what he said. Now, I'm in the cabin with Jordan. We have to wait another day for Bobby. Friggin' Bobby. On top of all this breaking laws and smuggling my brothers onto my ship, Jake wants to take me on a date. And I don't know what to tell him. After all the times I've told him that I'm only seeing him as a friend, I'm afraid.

What if I tell him no again, and I regret the choice? And what if I decide I will go out with him, and it becomes something, but I regret that choice too?

"You're deep in thought," Jordan says; he's been shaving a piece of wood for the last hour. "Wanna talk about it?"

"It's Jake," I reply, letting my head fall back on the chair I've been spinning around on. "We all know I've been telling him not to pursue me. But recently, I've let my guard down, without thinking about it, and now I have him waiting on my answer to go out with him."

"Ah." That's all he has to say? 'Ah'?

I look up and I find Jordan has stopped shaving his piece of wood. He's staring at his hands.

"You asked if I wanted to talk," I say, sighing as I stand and move to his side of the cabin.

"Yeah, I did," he replies as I slide down to the floor beside him. "Tell me what is stopping YOU from saying you'll go with him."

"That's just it. I don't really have any reason not to, except that I am the captain."

"But you have doubts?"

I nod and tell Jordan my dilemma. He smirks and shakes his head when I'm done.

"He's persistent," he says, sighing. "You gotta give him that. Do you not see anything happening with him, at all?"

"I'm completely uncertain," I reply, shrugging.

"Then you should go for it. Stop asking questions and get some answers."

Jordan sounds like he just lost his confidence. I've been seeing more and more of his quiet and sensitive side. The hurt side. And I wonder why.

"Is that what you think I should do?" I ask, not quite sure I'm happy with his advice, because he sounds so reluctant to give it to me.

"I don't think I'm really one you should be asking relationship advice from," Jordan shrugs, chuckling nervously.

"But you give good advice. I just feel like you don't want to give it to me."

"You're right. I don't . . . But I've grown fond of your smile and I would rather see you smile than anything else."

With that, he stands, and walks away in the same manner he did back in the corridor. But I don't let him walk away. I catch up to him and grab his arm. The words fly from my mouth and I don't even think them over. I don't stop them either.

"If you don't like Jake asking me," I say, squeezing his arm. "I want you to tell me. I want a reason for you walking away with your tail between your legs."

"I'm not a dog," Jordan says in disgust.

I laugh, "No, you're not. But that's the way you've been every time you leave one of these conversations."

He sighs, but at least I've made him smile.

"I'm trying not to make things tougher on you," he says, shaking his head.

"Why would you make things tougher?" I ask, "Why would you make things tough at all?"

"Because," Jordan replies, that nervous chuckle returns. "It's very hard not to like you, Ryan. You turn heads all over the place."

"By that, you mean the girls. I look like a guy half the time."

"And the other half, you're this fun, quick-minded woman that everyone wants. Not counting Pastor Stone, because I think he sees you as his daughter."

"True . . . Am I really that extraordinary to have everyone in my crew see me like that?"

"Minus the brother, the pastor, and the navigator," he nods, the smile playing at his lips again. "I don't want you to think you shouldn't at least try and give Jake a chance."

I don't want to give Jake a chance.

I don't say the words out loud. I wish I could. But something tells me it's not the time to think this way. Because as I let Jordan's arm go, he gives me an encouraging smile. And then he leaves me with more questions. Sure, it could be there is something with Jake. Something. Maybe nothing.