CHAPTER SIX

The Man Do Cry

The Man Do Cry

February 12th, 2105 

Unknown Air Space

Naia and I smirk at each other while Jordan keeps the ship on course. And Jake just rambles on to annoy him. I've tried to get the dude to go bother someone else, but he just won't leave Jordan alone.

"Why does Jake behave like a child?" Naia asks, laughing softly.

"It's called jealousy," I reply, shaking my head. "If you were to distract the guy for a bit, I could finish my conversation with the pilot."

"Oh, that is no trouble. Jake!"

Naia skip over to Jake and taps on his shoulder.

"Okay," he says with an underlying whine. Naia smiles as she clings to his arm and pulls him out of the cabin. Thankfully, she closes the door as well.

"I thought he'd never leave," Jordan says as I take the chair on the other side of the control console. "Was that his way of telling me I better watch my back?"

I can't help smiling. Because Jordan is grinning as he puts the ship on auto-pilot.

"Hey," I protest, pointing to the button. "My ship is never on auto-pilot. I don't think the feature even works because it's never used."

"It works fine," he chuckles, shaking his head. "I thought you trusted me."

"I do, I just think a machine should never have the feature, to begin with."

"I'm not walking away from the controls if that's what you're worried about." He rolls his eyes. "Besides, we're on schedule. Isn't that what you want?"

I sigh, "I'm being picky. Ignore the piloting preference. Tell me, where did you study for your pilot's license?"

"We don't need a license in 5-Q," Jordan says, chuckling at my surprised expression. "Wondering why I look human? My grandfather, on my father's side, was human. Fell in love with my grandmother and they moved out to 5-Q to live in peace. Then, my parents migrated to 3-Q. I was born in 4-Q, and then they moved to 1-Q."

"Why'd you migrate back to 3-Q?" I ask, turning my chair so I can look out the front window.

"I didn't want to," he replies, sounding very solemn. "We were forced to leave. The new integration laws hadn't been approved yet."

At first, I don't know what to say. Because all I'm thinking about is how I was witness to the terrible ways of the government sending alien immigrants back to their planets and quadrants.

"Did they separate you from your family?"

I ask the question because I'm curious. Because so many children from other galaxies have been separated from their parents, and it's not fair.

"They took my father away," Jordan says; he's shrugging when I turn to look at him. "Actually haven't seen him since. I tried to find him. Which was how I took up welding. I needed the money to get around."

"You really need a license to weld?"

"Because of my origins, yeah. Sucks."

I nod and stand because I feel the need to pace now. My brain is thinking. A lot. Something is brewing.

"If I help you meet the requirements," I start, sighing as I face him. "Will you let me help get your license? We can search for your dad while we look for my brothers."

"You'd be going out of your way," Jordan replies, shaking his head. "If he wanted to be found, he'd have been looking for me first. I'll take you up on the license, though. Would keep you and your ship out of trouble."

"You'll let me help you get the license, but still no answer on letting me get W.N. protection for your presence on my ship? C'mon, dude."

He chuckles and then flips the switch that turns off auto-pilot.

***

I don't know what time it is. Time doesn't matter in space. There is no time. But after having to take a nap - of a sort - I come out of my room and walk the hallway that leads back to the cabin. Jordan is sitting in the pilot's chair, eating some kind of fruit. And Jake is standing at the window, looking at the skies ahead.

"Update," I say, standing behind Jordan.

"We're about two days from 4-Q," he says, flipping a switch that controls the thrusters. "Jake sent out a transmission, so we don't have issues landing on D'Mandoocry."

I snort, "Repeat that, please."

"Just think of this phrase: The man does cry. Smash it all together and change the T-H to a D. D'Mandoocry."

"That's funny. Anything else I need to know before I go stuff my face?"

"Saved you some pineapple," Jake says but doesn't turn to look at me once. He's either mad at me, or up to no good.

"Thanks, I think," I reply, shaking my head. "If there are any problems, call me."

As I'm closing the door to the cabin, I hear Jake grumble.

"How did you manage to weasel your way onto this ship?" he asks; I pause to listen at the door. Okay, so I'm still a girl and didn't get to do this much as a teenager. I'm sure Naia would love to gossip with me.

"I didn't weasel my way anywhere," Jordan replies; he sounds so calm, which seems to annoy Jake.

"But you did. Obviously, Ryan found a reason to appoint you pilot."

"If you're jealous, why didn't you ask her to make you the pilot? I wouldn't be here."

"Yeah, but that wouldn't have gotten me anywhere," Jake's tone deflates. "A couple hours with her, I was a goner."

"You might want to consider your flirty jokes with Naia," Jordan says, still extremely calm, but there's a hint of something else now. "Also, you don't know her that well. I'm not saying I know her any better, but I do know that no woman likes the player. They like the idea, but once it actually happens to them, they walk away."

I hear Jake sigh, but I'm kinda impressed with Jordan at the moment. Very impressed.

"What do you suggest I do then?" Jake asks, softly.

"Be her friend," Jordan replies; I hear him exhale. In a strange way. Don't know how to describe it. "Let her get to know you better. If she wants something more, she'll tell you."

"Even when she already said she doesn't?"

"Seriously? Then yeah, definitely dial it down a bit. Be a friend."

I smile and walk away from the door. That has to be the most interesting conversation I've ever listened to from behind a closed door.