CHAPTER THREE

Conrad, Captain Conrad

January 25th, 2105

Second Quadrant Air Space

The Montgomery is holding together much better than I thought it would. We've left the First Quadrant a good four Earth-days ago. I'm glad that I at least got official clearance to leave the Quadrant.

There's a million regulations and laws that must be followed before any ship can leave any of the Quadrants. Bearing the Conrad name and banner definitely has some benefits. But I'm trying not to use my father's name to woozy my way into good sights with anyone. I'm an honest captain and pilot. Minus the fact that I'm a woman. It's kept me out of true-harm's way.

My crew and I seem to be getting along. Mostly Jake and Pastor Stone - he is an ordained pastor. So it's only right I call him that. He's a pleasant man to have on board. On Earth-Sunday, he read a passage from the Bible and prayed for protection on our journey.

"Captain," Jake says, entering the cabin. "I don't mean to sound an alarm, but I believe we're being followed."

"If we're being followed, why haven't I received a transmission?" I ask, flipping a few switches to see behind the ship. "Jake, I don't see anyone."

"They're using a cloaking device," he replies, coming towards my console and flipping a few more switches. He's made this a habit, but it doesn't bother me.

A screen, showing a thermal scan of the perimeter around the Montgomery, proves there is, in fact, a ship following us.

"They don't have the software to keep their heat signatures hidden," I say pressing the transmission button. "Let's see who our guests are."

The familiar ringing of video-call dialing fills the speakers of the cabin. Seconds later, a face appears on the screen that just had the thermal radar. An elderly man with an orange face and silver-white hair appears. He's not happy, that much is clear in his expression.

"This is Captain Conrad of the Montgomery," I say to the man in my masculine voice. "State your capacity."

"My name is Hans Schmidt," he replies, grunting. "Captain of the Noir. You have entered into my air space, unauthorized."

"I have a document, signed by the President of Sector 6, District 1. And another signed by the Commander of the W.N. I carry medical supplies for a hospital in the Third Quadrant. I seek peaceful passage."

I hold up the official documents, doing my best to avoid looking smug. I bet I'm the only starship captain to actually have signed documents. False documentation is the reason there are so many regulations.

"Open your hatch," Captain Schmidt grunts. "I wish to see this documentation myself."

The screen goes black and I roll my eyes.

"Jake," I say, turning my chair to face him. "Prepare the crew to be boarded. No one speaks. I do the talking."

"You got it, boss," he replies, nodding and turning to leave. "No one reveals your true gender, right?"

"Not unless I give them permission."

"Yes, sir."

I chuckle; I'm enjoying this too much.

When Captain Schmidt boards the Montgomery, he brings two thugs with him. I stand with my hands folded behind me, and my shoulders back. My cool stance is what's keeping Naia from freaking out. Jake is next to her.

"Where's the rest of your crew?" the captain asks, grunting in disapproval.

"My mechanics are in the engine room," I reply; why does it matter?

"And your co-pilot?"

"I am my own co-pilot."

"That is not conventional. I would suggest you recruit a co-pilot as you stop in the Second Quadrant."

I hold my expression, "I cannot afford to be delayed longer than a day," I say. "The Gee'ordan Hospital is waiting for these medical supplies. What's your certification?"

"Who are you to ask me such questions?"

Schmidt, more like Schmuck, tries to stare me down. He hasn't told me his official status. A requirement when boarding any ship under official pretenses.

"Captain Ryan Taylor Conrad," I say, changing my stance to one of authority. "I am certain you have heard of my father, General George Conrad. He fought in the War of the Galaxies, and the War of Worlds."

Captain Schmidt's expression changes. Huh, so my dad's reputation is intergalactic.

"I fought alongside your father," the man says, nodding as he goes back in his mind. "A man of strategy, he was. And determined to return home to his children. He must be proud to call you his son."

I hold back a snicker, but someone behind me fails to hide their amusement. I glance over my shoulder and give Jake a glare. He starts to, silently, whistle a tune. Pretending he wasn't the one who just laughed. And he was the friggin' one asking if I wanted my gender kept under the carpet. Butt-head.

"I did give you a list of starships and their captains," says one of the captain's goons. "Yesterday."

Schmidt makes a face and slowly glances at the man. I'm still trying to figure out why these guys are orange. Because they look human. But they look like humans who took a bath in color dye.

"We apologize for the inconvenience," Captain Schmidt clears his throat and turns to me. "We will let you go on your way. And I shall send a transmission to the next Quadrant, to let you through without any issues."

"My thanks, Captain," I reply, nodding my head and moving my hands behind my back again. "I am certain my father would be intrigued to know of our meeting. You should transmit to him sometime. Tell him you saw me."

The captain salutes me, which I return, and then leaves. Jake passes me and closes the door to the hatch. And then he turns that huge grin my way and cackles with laughter. Naia joins in. But I don't. Somehow, I don't find any of this funny.

"I'm dropping you off at the next planet," I say, turning my back and heading up the metal stairs to the cabin. "Tell the crew we're regrouping."

***

I stare out at the stars as I gently keep my ship on course. This galaxy is so different. I'm alone in the cabin. Everyone else is probably grabbing some sleep. I should sleep too, but I don't feel like it. Maybe I should consider recruiting an actual pilot. Someone I can trust with my ship. Honestly, none of the crew I have now would meet those standards. Not even Jake or Naia.