CHAPTER TEN

Trouble, Here We Come

2105, Day 3 route to 5-Q 

Fifth Quadrant Air Space - Aessty Galaxy

Sector 9 - Onn D'Aeyyu

The Montgomery sits in orbit of 5-Q, high above Onn D'Aeyyu. I've sent Nick and Lee down in one of the pods. Apparently, the engine is in need of an oil change. How I didn't know this, I'm not certain. But it gives us an excuse to test the area and see if we can land.

"Status update," I say into the radio.

"They say we can," Lee replies; there's a lot of static and many voices on his end. "As long we comply with Action-3."

"We'll comply. Hold us a parking spot, over." I put down the radio and look at the images on the star screen. "Jordan, land the ship just outside the city. We'll set up base there."

"Aye captain," he replies, getting straight to it.

"Jake," I turn to him, "once we've landed, you and Naia will scout the area for possible threats, and then you will see if there is a doctor who'll come onboard."

"You got it, boss," he says, motiong for Naia to follow him.

"Pastor Stone," I turn to the man. "List the supplies we need restocked and get that done."

He nods and leaves the cabin.

"Jordan," I say, resting my hand on his shoulder. "You're with me. We're going to the place the coordinates mark."

"You waited until Jake was gone to tell me that."

"Because there seems to be some confusion going on and I don't know how to fix it."

"You'll have to tell me what you mean later," Jordan says, pulling the controls and pointing the ships nose down. "We're making our descent."

***

Jordan and I reach the location directed by the coordinates. It's a space hangar. And it's safe to say it's bigger than the National Air and Space Museum. Hunter took me when I was a kid. But it's got nothing on this. There are ships everywhere and people tending to them. I march up to the nearest uniform. I'm getting my questions answered.

"Anyone here with the name Conrad?" I ask as Jordan stands beside me.

The young woman stands at attention when she sees me. Even gives me a salute.

"Major Conrad can be found in the mess hall," she says, putting her arm down and standing at attention. "May I ask your affiliation with him?"

"We're family," I reply, "at ease, private."

She relaxes; I wonder if she realizes I'm not a commanding officer.

"Thank you," I salute her and walk away. Jordan keeps in step with me as I follow the signs that point the direction of the mess hall.

"Which brother is the Major?" he asks, shaking out his jacket.

"Bobby," I reply, scanning faces as I keep moving. "Second eldest, but the smartest of the bunch. I'm look for Major Conrad. Have you seen him?"

I ask this to a man sweeping the floor. He shakes his head and motions to his ears. Jordan steps over and speaks to him in common galactic tongue. They peak to each other for a moment, and then the man points to a long corridor. Jordan thanks him - I think - and then motions for me to follow.

"What's your race again?" I ask, nudging his side with my elbow.

"We'll talk about that later," he replies with a chuckle. "He said the only place to find anyone with a name of importance is to see visit the head offices."

"He didn't confuse Conrad for my father, did he?"

"Nope. Your brothers have been making names for themselves. No affiliation to your father's service in the war."

"That's good."

"What's the deal about the wave, by the way?"

Jordan and I exchange a look, but I don't get to explain anything. A siren sounds from somewhere in the building. Jordan places an arm in front of me as we are pushed against the wall. Soldiers of all ranks are running in the direction we just came. When a ath clears, Jordan pulls me forward. Normally, I would definitely pull myself free, but I know he doesn't mean anything by it. He's just trying to get us through safely.

"In here," Jordan says, pulling me into an empty room. And I do mean empty. It's as if the entire room has been cleared of all furniture and personnel. The walls are very plain; eggshell white. Blech. And a single window on the farthest wall. Nothing else.

"It's supposed to be here," Jordan goes on, walking further into the room. "What exactly is Action-3?"

"You don't know?" I ask, crossing my arms.

"Nope," he replies, popping the P; why do I find that a turn on? "I've had my head stuck in a welding mask for a little too long."

"It's part of evacuation protocol. There are five actions. Action-3 means everyone needs to be ready to leave the moment Action-4 is called. Action-5 involves self-destruction."

"Huh, sounds about right. Why would the janitor send us here?"

"How am I to know? You're the one who spoke his language."

"Barely. I must've misunderstood my right and left."

I groan and move to lean against the wall. It moves. The sound of a lock clicking resonates through the empty room. I straighten as the wall slides open. I gasp when I seen there is another room behind the wall. Loud music and flashing lights. There's a friggin' party happening during an Action-3.

"Guess we're in the right place after all," Jordan says, stepping towards the opening. "Shall we see what this is about?"

"Might as well," I reply, rolling back my shoulders.

Jordan runs a hand through his dark hair and shakes out his shirt. I have to look away. There's some nagging voice in the back of my head telling me I'll be in a bit of trouble. Trouble that I want to welcome so badly right now.

There are several couples and groups of people and other life forms. All drinking, dancing and getting crazy. Surprisingly, Jordan and I don't look like we don't belong. Some guy with a highlighter-yellow mohawk and extremely large, retro glasses notices us and comes forward.

"Can I help you find some fun?" he asks, holding up his glass in a 'cheers' gesture.

"We're looking for Conrad," I reply, as Jordan casually slips his arm around my waist. "Do you know where he, or any of the others, might be?"

"Major should be around here. But I don't know anything about any other dudes with the last name."

Jordan and I exchange a brief glance before heading towards the back of the party room.